1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018-19 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 4, 2018.

1. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Pitch clock for spring training:

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Jim Salisbury reports the Phillies' owner's private plane is in Nevada -- home of Bryce Harper

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I loathe the idea of a pitch clock. Baseball is the only major sport without a clock. Let's keep it that way.

The length of baseball games is literally not an issue that is holding down the game's popularity. NFL games last, on average, 3 hours, 8 minutes. MLB games last 3:09 and, have more action (about 18 minutes of live gameplay vs. 11 minutes for the NFL). Hell, major college football games lasted an average of 3:24 in 2017.

8. bigpern23

Watching Machado's interview on MLB Network with Avsinger, it's really hard not to root for him. It just makes me like the guy. He was honest, he seemed happy, he didn't dodge questions. I hope he doesn't spike anyone next season, but his interview made you think SD got a really solid player and person.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Pitch clocks have been in effect in the minors for 3-4 years now, no?

10. bigpern23

I don't watch MiLB, so I have no idea. I don't like it in theory, but in practice, I would hope it would assimilate young pitchers to have their own clock so that by the time they reach the bigs, they just pitch quickly.

I hate the idea that a Game 7 of the World Series could potentially come down to a bases-loaded walk when a pitcher, who is taking in the pressure of the moment, takes a hair too long to deliver his 3-2, 2-out pitch. Come on. That's fucking ABSURD.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The pitch clocks only come into play when no one is on base yes? Seems like it could be pretty easy to install. You have an official monitoring it from up high, if he is taking two much time (twice or more) he gets warned at the end of the inning. After that, an umpire puts him on the clock and the penalty is an automatic ball.

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

There is so much dead time in a baseball game, though. I love going to the ballpark and being outside, but on TV there's nothing to fill the space. Football at least has an endless supply of replays. And college football and the NFL are going to have a game time reckoning coming soon enough too. College only gets away with it now because there are so many games on at the same time.

Draft saved Draft deleted