1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018-19 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I love this signing. No risk, high reward lotto ticket. There is no way that Cashman goes into the season banking on him for anything meaningful, but a good chance that he contributes something meaningful at some point along the way even if he is released or disabled by July.

John B. Foster and heyabbott like this.
  2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I agree that it is a worthwhile signing, but I don't think there is much of a high reward there at this point. Tulowitzki's production has declined even when he has played the last couple of seasons.

3. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Shouldn't Harper have signed somewhere by now?

4. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

What's the rush?

5. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

No rush - I'm certain, of course, he won't be back with the Nats.

It's more a question of the new calendar for MLB free agency. It doesn't seem like that long ago the biggest names were all locked up by Christmas. Maybe I'm mis-remembering.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It seems like it's basically because of Boras waiting until other top tier free agents get signed so that he can get his guy the biggest contract.

7. bigpern23

His 2016 season, when he played 131 games, was decent, but he's certainly been a different player since leaving Coors Field. For league minimum, if he could replicate anything close to his 2016 season, he'd be a steal.

As one of the WFAN hosts (Maggie Gray?) noted, he's a replacement for Neil Walker, not Manny Machado.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

The trades for Lance Lynn and Jaime Garcia each of the last 2 years did the same thing. They meant that Cashman wasn't desperate when negotiating for Gray & Happ and now Machado.

9. John B. Foster

Phillies sign David Robertson.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

and he's only been league average in range factor the last two years. Shame what happened to a Hall of Fame-trajectory career. Still, as a stop gap, you can definitely do worse.

11. bigpern23

I was hoping the Yankees would resign him. He's a quality pitcher and seems like a quality guy.

12. John B. Foster

Draft saved Draft deleted