1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018-19 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 4, 2018.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It’s theOrioles, hes probably the cheapest hire they could make

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The Nats most likely would have agreed to that in September. I think NY, Chicago, Philly would have agreed to that. Frankly, If Harper would take a 5-6 year deal, with an opt out after 3 he actually could get close to 40 mil a year for the 1st 3 years.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Really. Talk about overpaying.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

This is big:

maumann likes this.
  7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Wow! In exchange, we ought to send the Rays to Havana.

sgreenwell and HanSenSE like this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I remember when the "prime" FAs were signed by Thanksgiving and the salaries came down the closer to Spring Training with the lowest FAs accepting Spring Training tryouts. I can't believe they've pushed things past Christmas. I guess I'm just surprised that teams haven't figured out what their team will be next year. Figure adding Harper or Machado would change things up quite a bit - it's not like adding a LOOG-y or backup catcher. Even worse, NOT getting Harper and Machado creating a huge hole in your line-up you have no plan B for.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

There are plenty of plan B players left. Teams are far smarter now and aren't just going to cave at what Boras and company are asking for.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I know the teams now have as much (if not more) info than Boras has. Also would not be surprised if teams are "verifying" each others offers and not just taking Boras's word for it.

11. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

In today's clickbait journalism, that would read "Rickey Henderson got on first base AND YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HE DID NEXT!"

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    Slacker, Baron Scicluna, MTM and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted