1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2014 season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 26, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I think that's exactly it, Dick. They want to shame you for loving something that's great.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I know. That's how I felt about Barry Manilow once.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

Ratings/attendance/#BaseballIsDead stories = trollery
    HardballTalk specializes in this.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I haven't seen anything since the end of this round, but I coulda swore I read the ratings were up something like 15 percent after the divisional series.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I have a friend who dumps on every band that has sold more than 10 albums, and constantly name checks death metal bands that five people listen to ... but won't ever shut the fuck up about football's ratings as compared to baseball's.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

oops wrong thread. Carry on

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Postseason is for baseball.
    If the ratings ain't there, boo-hoo-hoo.

As if ratings should shame any team for getting to the World Series ...

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If anyone hasn't been watching Lorenzo Cain because he doesn't play in a big enough city, well, that's just a person who isn't much into baseball.

The news industry could learn something from baseball about catering to the fans you have instead of trying to lure the fans you'll never get.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

To be fair, Cain had never surpassed 400 at-bats in a season before this year and he was a huge disappointment in 2013. Even this season, he missed time, which made it easy to miss the step forward he took this year.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. Baseball's uneven playing field has always been more of a public perception issue than anything else. The big markets still have the advantage, but it is not as drastic as it used to be and that runs like Kansas City's this year help demonstrate that.

The ideal for baseball is to keep the big markets strong, especially with so much of the sport's revenue coming in regionally rather than nationally, while ensuring a public perception of parity. The Royals are helping to make that happen. Those 29 years out of the playoffs will be forgotten by many fans regardless of how this World Series turns out.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I wonder how much the value of the Royals franchise has increased in the past few weeks.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomvanriper/2014/10/16/boring-san-francisco-giants-threaten-world-series-ratings-again/

Draft saved Draft deleted