1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2014 season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The narrative with the Braves' postseason failures was always that their bullpen sucked or their starting pitching came up small, but in nearly every case, they lost because they didn't hit enough.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Definitely what keeps me from being all in on the Birds. Three below-replacement-level players in that lineup.

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

The eyes-first guys do, the sabermetricians don't: http://grantland.com/features/mlb-detroit-tigers-oakland-as-rotations/

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The few games I've seen him play, Paredes has done a pretty solid job at third for the Orioles.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And Caleb Joseph has had some nice moments behind the plate. Jonathan Schoop has some highlights.

But those aren't the guys you go into the bunker with.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

1988 Dodgers beg to differ.
    The great Chris Davis was hitting under .200 most of the season.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The most incredible part of the 9th inning of Game 1 of the 1988 World Series was not that Gibson homered, but that Eckersley walked Mike Davis ahead of him.

Eckersley walked 12 guys in 80 innings that year counting the playoffs. Davis had a .260 on-base percentage and .270 slugging percentage.

8. Songbird

It was very much like Game 4 of the NLCS.

Sure, Scioscia homered off Gooden in top-9 to tie it, but that only happened because John Shelby led off with a walk.

Davis and Shelby often are forgotten when people talk about Scioscia and Gibson.

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Pretty cool, Hack. Have a wonderful experience but I have a hard time thinking Kansas City is going to do much against Lester.

10. Songbird

Mathewson
    Hoyt
    Lester

Q: Name the top 3 postseason pitchers all-time in ERA (minimum 10 starts).

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The Orioles have played something like .650 ball since mid-June, they are used to winning with these replacement parts.

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Don't sell the Royals short. They have the best defense and probably the best back end of the bullpen in baseball. Their starting pitching is also pretty good. Yes, they can't hit. But each team has warts.

That said Lester has owned them. If this were a series I'd pick the Royals. In one game, against Lester, I don't see KC winning. Oakland also has a good pen. A 1-0 game wouldn't surprise me.

Draft saved Draft deleted