1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 08: The Show glitch?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ostentatious, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I was like a jack-in-the-box (up, down, up, down, etc.) until the contract expired and I signed with the White Sox.

That's when I got really frustrated with the RTTS feature. I was tearing it up at the plate, but kept getting benched because my fielding skill and base running wasn't where the "manager" wanted it. So put me at DH instead of sending my down to AAA. But that never happened.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Even better!

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Anytime I do a created player feature in a baseball game, I always try to boost his speed as much as possible early on, figuring decent average and power numbers would be fine to start with. What kind of customization does the game have in this regard?

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Off the top of my head ...

Contact vs. RHP
    Contact vs. LHP
    Power vs. RHP
    Power vs. LHP
    Plate vision
    Plate discipline
    Clutch hitting
    Bunt
    Drag bunt
    Speed
    Durability
    Base running
    Base-running aggressiveness
    Arm strength
    Arm accuracy
    Fielding
    Blocking (catchers)
    Reflexes

There are even more for pitchers.

Each one has a secondary benefit. For example, if you work on Power vs. RHP, you get also get a boost in Power vs. LHP. But not much.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

It's odd that bunt is in there since so few people really utilize it like they should anymore.

6. ostentatious

ostentatious Member

New spin on an old favorite:

Today I was playing the Pirates and was leading 4-3 going into the top of the 9th. I had already managed to go into the pen and warm up Gagne (already admitting defeat in the game) and got back to the batting screen just fine. The Pirates' relief pitcher threw one friggin pitch and all of a sudden the pullpen screen popped up (I didn't actually hit a button) and said I had to sub for that reliever (again...I'm not the Pirates so this directive seems like some phantom fuck you).

Tried mashing a few buttons to get out of the bullpen (knowing I was already bent over the table). Game reset...put away the game. It takes all the fun out of it knowing that every time I start a game I'm flirting with whatever I'm doing not actually mattering. Sigh.

Draft saved Draft deleted