1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mizzou To Gay LAX Coach: Bend Over

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, May 15, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

By ALAN SCHER ZAGIER Associated Press writer
    COLUMBIA, Mo. May 14, 2007 (AP)

The openly gay coach of the Missouri men's lacrosse team was told his contract will not be renewed after nine seasons. Team leaders said Kyle Hawkins was dismissed because of his job performance, not his sexual orientation.

Hawkins recently completed his first season as head coach after publicly disclosing his homosexuality. The team finished with a 6-9 record, Hawkins' first losing season at the school.

As a club sport, the Missouri lacrosse team largely controls its budget and hiring decisions.

"We, as a team, did not feel coach Hawkins was the best man for the job," team president Andy Mackley said. "Sport is all we care about, not the sexuality of our coach, players and those associated with our team."

Mackley, a junior who briefly played for Hawkins in high school, called the decision "strictly business" and hailed Hawkins as a "pioneer" for his decision to be known as one of the few openly gay coaches in college sports.

"His personal life had zero to do with our team," Mackley said.

While Hawkins said he consulted with a lawyer, as did the team, he doesn't plan a legal challenge.

"I don't have anything to gain by going after them legally," he said.

Hawkins said he learned of the decision May 4 in a meeting with team leaders, an assistant coach, faculty advisers and a university official. Hawkins said the group offered eight reasons not to renew his annual contract, which expires May 31.

Among the concerns: dissatisfaction with his practice regimen and the coach's negative reputation outside the school.

"Those are laughable," Hawkins said. "A week and a half before the meeting, they had sat in front of the ESPN cameras and said what a great coach I was."

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=3173449&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I guess Mizzou was too hard.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Muck Fizzou.

4. Yawn

Yawn New Member

There's got to be plenty of Northeast jobs who will embrace him with a Saban-like welcome. Anyone in Massachusetts, maybe?

5. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Well, they said he sucked, but did not get into specifics.

I kid, I kid. Looks like they were looking for a reason to can him. I mean one losing season? Come on.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Jerry: Because when you join that team it's not a whim. He likes his team. He's set with that team.

Elaine: We've got a good team.

Jerry: Yeah, we do. We do have a good team.

Elaine: Why can't he play for us?

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

What kind of cash is there in coaching club lacross, anyway?

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Mr. Mackley needs a good talk with Zed at the gun shop. Mmmmmkay?

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Hawkins overall record was, what, 172-58 (fuzzy math)? I guess the players didn't want to be known as the team that was coached by a gay man and found some bullshit excuse to cut him because he was getting notoriety for what we went through to be open about his homosexuality and being a coach.

10. heyabbott

Zed's Dead

11. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

Lacrosse and hockey seem like the sports where the players would be least likely to accept a gay coach, so I'm sure they had some input here.

12. heyabbott

Is Avery Johnson gay?

Draft saved Draft deleted