1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mizzou question ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PeteyPirate, Mar 24, 2008.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I've been mentoring a high school senior from Southeast DC since the beginning of the academic year. Out of pure coincidence (we were paired randomly), he wants to be a sports journalist. From what I've seen, his writing still needs a lot of work, but his grades are decent. Anyway, that's not what I'm there for, I'm more of a guide/cheerleader through the college/scholarship application process.

Based on his interest in journalism, I informed him about which were the top schools in that regard, and he ended up applying to Florida, Missouri and Syracuse along with the requisite "safety schools." He got into Mizzou this week and expects to hear from the other two soon. My question is, can you just choose to go into Mizzou's journalism program or are you in competition for a spot there after you arrive? I know there are some alums here who can help me.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Re: Mizzou question

Certainly in competition.
    Depending on funding, No. of professors, etc., the GPA requirement is different pretty much year to year.
    For instance -- when I got in to the J-School, the requirement was 2.8. When my wife got in the requirement was 3.0. I'm pretty sure I've heard it as high as 3.3.

Not sure where Simon is, but he may be able to clarify what he had to do.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

You're not in competition. As long as you fulfill the requirements (2.75 GPA when I was there a LONG time ago), you're in.

You spend the first two years in the College of Arts and Sciences, taking your basic requirements. You don't get to J-school until your junior year.

Good luck to your kid, and props to you, FDP, for mentoring!

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Again, where's Simon -- MU has some sort of pre-acceptance program now, something they started after I left.

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Anytime you use Mizzou in either the subject line or in the body of the message, I propose you must end every thought with an ellipsis...

You know, kind of like our boy, Mizzougrad96...

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

awesome...

7. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Is it spring break week? Simon might be down in Panama City or something.

8. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I hadn't heard about the pre-admission, so I went to the website to check it out.

Otherwise, it's the A&S route. There, they reserve the right not to take you with a 3.0 GPA, but they say on the website that they've always taken everyone with a 3.0.

So, there it is . . . [/keepingnormanstansfieldhappy]

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

FDP - Please congratulate the young man on our behalf for his terrific achievement.

10. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

FirstDownPirates might unknowingly be mentoring the next "Young F'ing Stud."

No, really, those are great schools. All the best to the young guy.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It's the greatest school of all times.....

12. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Chad Moller, the head MU SID, used to end the majority of his e-mails with ellipsis...

"Please pass this on through your outlets.
    Thanks..."

Besides the GPA requirements, you have to pass at least two intro to journalism classes. When I was pre-j it was two classes. The next year it was three. The old numbers were J200 (principles of journalism) and J105 (intro to news writing). Part of J105 was passing a grammar test. You don't pass those classes, you don't get in. I'm pretty sure Cross Cultural Journalism is now a pre-j class.

FDP, I've known kids who didn't have the grades but protested and still got into the J School, but most of the people I can think of who did that were transfer kids. They had good grades at MU, but because of transfer rules it was tough for them to get their GPA high enough. One other thing to remember / pass on is that being involved at students papers or TV stations is good, but you still need good grades. I've had a few friends who worked nonstop at the student paper, became high ranking editors, then didn't have the grades to get into the J School because they spent all their time at the paper instead of class.

Draft saved Draft deleted