1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

mixing dating and work

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Craig Sagers Tailor, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

I guess this is vaguely a journalism topic, so here it goes.

Is it unethical to date one of the prep coaches at a school you cover? I live out in the middle of nowhere where the cute girl ratio is 1:a number significantly higher than 1. I could see it being a bigger deal if she was a head coach, but the girl in question is an assistant coach (at least for the time being), so its not like I would work with her that much anyway. I've chit-chatted with her a couple times at games and felt like there was a mutual feeling going on. A few weeks ago before one of the team practices, I asked her if she wanted to grab lunch one day when school let out and she said ok, but seemed sort of wishy-washy about it. I was thinking of getting up with her about it this week. Worst-Case scenario, she says no and I feel awkward around her next few times I'm covering their games.

Or would there be something worse to it? thoughts? Smart-assed responses are encouraged :)

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Better a coach than the players, I suppose.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not the most perfect situation, but if you're in that remote an area, oh well.

Anything could be seen as a conflict of interest. Heck, if you fall and break your leg, are you not supposed to go to the local hospital because you may have to interview someone there for a story?

If it was a big city, then yeah, you should probably look elsewhere. But if you're in Podunk, then what are you supposed to do? Sit and stare at your four walls every Saturday night?

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Go for it.

There are people doing far for corrupt and unethical things in their line of work in this world. At least they're getting paid for it. You're not.

5. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Put a poster of Elle Macpherson on one of them walls and buck up.

Agree that it's not an ideal situation, but whatever. The situation you don't want is one in which the reporter is pathetically lusting after a coach, when she's clearly not interested and he becomes a known creeper. Soon all the girls tell jokes about you, but only because humor is the simplest way to cover up fear. Parents won't let you talk to their children. Your editors see you and shake their heads. You have a worse reputation than the garlic-cheese-jalapeno tater tots down at Lumpy's Tavern. The irony becomes that the only women interested in you are the ones who frequent Lumpy's.

Try to avoid that.

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I say go for it but if anything beyond a simple date occurs (I.E. If you start a relationship or if you give her the shocker), I'd say you should try to avoid covering their games when possible. She's an assistant coach now but if she moves up and you have to cover them, it's going to be more trouble than it's worth.

Unless she's hot. If she's hot, go for it.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Fuck her!

8. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

you only live once.

I'd say this if she were the head coach as well. You never really know what life has in store for you. If this one date were to turn into more and wow, you found your soulmate, the fact that she's a high school coach is meaningless in my book. I've lived too long alone and learned that there are more important things in life to worry about than violating such a silly codeof ethics. As long as she knows this doesn't mean special treatment for her team, I see no problem at all.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Bingo. If it turns into a relationship, you can even make her give you a blowjob every time she fails to call in a score.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Ummm....speaking from experience there, Harry?

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Great idea! One-stop shopping to screw up every aspect of your life at once. Because in Podunk, it will be at least 10 minutes before everyone knows about it.

Maybe you can bang a couple of players' moms, too.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You know, Brittany Britney Brittni's mom is pretty hot, and I think I saw her checking you out.

Draft saved Draft deleted