1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mixed Drinks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

A well-made vodka/tonic is wonderful. Either that or a Screwdriver is fine with me.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sounds like my family. Must be a generational thing. At family gatherings my great aunts and uncles with sitting around knocking down rye base "highballs" and smoking Lucky Strikes.

I'm with you spnited-- Grey Goose on the rocks - no garnish.We'll knock back a few one day and discusss the glory days of The Garden.

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

You mean the vodka? Two jiggers in a tall glass, add mix, a celery stalk or a whole green bean (it's a Southern thang), stir well. Oh, and I forgot the Worchestershire sauce.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Upon further review, and upon my wife Alice discovering an amazing bargain at Costco, we shall toast the Yuletide with the Widow -- Veuve Cliquot Brut champagne to be precise.
    Champagne is not a mixed drink. It is a miracle.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That's why I can't drink it. My parents drank it and I drank it till I was about 23 or 24. Now the smell makes me want to hurl.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

As boom said, JR, must be a generational thing. Our parents/relatives drinking high balls and smoking non-filter cigarettes in the 50s and 60s.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Ah, the glory days of the Holiday Festival, the real NIT and the Knicks winning championships.
    The youngsters will have no idea what we're talking about.

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

Not a fan of mimosos, eh?

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A thousand generations of French people shudder at the word mimosa. As do I.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I used to take an annual shark fishing trip out of Montauk Long Island- Hotel we stayed at was a real salty dog place that made their own Rye. It was like drinking with a bunch of Captain Quints. Place was called the Montauket.

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Crown and diet coke is tremendous. All of the old Ukrainians where I grew up would drink Crown and Coke and the call for a refill was "Dabbles, Dabbles"

My harder drinking days had me as a Stolis and soda with a twist of lime.

Stolis was also the only vodka that I would drink straight.

Yum.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I love a good car bomb, but I won't drop the glass in. Same thing with Yagah Bombs. I've poured it in ever since my ex-bartender buddy watched me take one and said, "You know, you're drinking everything on the bar when you do that."

Draft saved Draft deleted