1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mitt's own sworn testimony indicates he lied under oath

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

And even more to the point, from Josh Marshall:

Running my own little company and him being a bona-fide high-flyer, I never imagined I’d be in a position to teach Mitt Romney a basic lesson about corporate governance and running a business. But here goes: The CEO is in charge and he’s responsible for what happens in the company.

This is not only morally true; it’s legally true. If Bain had committed bad acts during the period in question, Romney would undoubtedly be on the hook for it, regardless of whether he’d done the bad acts personally or even known about the bad acts. Whether you were paying attention or not would be and is irrelevant. And just as irrelevant if you’d delegated your responsibilities to someone else. Just doesn’t matter. You’re CEO, you’re responsible. End of story.

(It’s a separate and interesting question why an acting CEO was never appointed if Romney was off in another state for years working full-time doing something else.)

To say that you were CEO, owner, Chairman of the Board and all the rest and yet had no responsibility for anything that happened just amounts to elaborate buck-passing. And that’s why this is a losing battle for Romney. Every technical argument about delegation, lack of knowledge and everything else just drives home the point.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2012/07/a_losing_battle.php?ref=fpblg

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Well, this time it only took two pages. Congrats.

Seriously -- enough. And review something written by someone much wiser than me.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/88767/

It's clear folks can't control the name calling and have an honest, open discussion about this stuff. No, it's a tit-for-tat and a romp in the gutter.

The previous politics thread was locked for the same garbage and Moddy said we'd give it about a week to cool down. So please don't start any more because it's clear a lot of folks can't be adults about this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.