1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mitch's Necropalooza

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Learn to take a joke, man. Your blood pressure must be through the roof.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You'll note that tony refrains from defending the actual column.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The column doesn't need my defense. He's the lead columnist for one of the papers that covers Michigan heading into the Ohio State game. He writes about the man who most exemplified the matchup for Michigan for decades and he writes on the one-year anniversary of said man's death. What could be more appropriate?

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You'll note that tony focused this entire post on the choice of topics, which no one has criticized. Strawmen are his specialty.

I don't think the criticism regarded the choice of subjects.

You are possibly the most intellectually dishonest poster we've ever had here, and that's saying something.

5. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Heaven needed a Rush Limbaugh listener.

6. Please, Dad. I'm begging you.
    Explain to me why that column is an example of good writing.
    Because I think that would be an interesting intellectual exercise.
    Start with this aforementioned passage

"It was a Friday that you died. But Saturdays are when you lived. In football, to miss is a bad thing, miss a tackle, miss a field goal. But we miss you anyhow. And this Saturday we'll miss you more."

By all means, the floor is yours.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Hey now, his buddy Mike Stone made it one of the top 10 stories on ussportspages.com.

8. I often wonder, while watching a really bad movie, couldn't they see it in rushes? Didn't they know as they went along how bad it was?
    Do you WANT someone promoting this dreck beyond your readership area?

9. old_tony

You've picked one paragraph -- admittedly the last one -- out of 17. And I'll give that this one paragraph is poorly written. First off, any sentence that starts with "It was" is leading with the weakest subject-verb combination possible. I'd have said, "You died on a Friday ... "

But the rest of the column -- particularly the four paragraphs preceding that last one -- are excellent. Great detail in the revelation that his widow still keeps the last pair of shoes he kicked off in their same place.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Mitch Albom writes saccharine pap. This is a fine example.

People don't make fun of Mitch because he's succesful, People make fun of him because he's a hack.

11. old_tony

Yeah, he's such a hack that he only makes 10 to 20 times a year more than the rest of us.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Now we're basing talent on how much someone makes? In that case, Barry Zito is the most-talented pitcher in the world.

Draft saved Draft deleted