1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

mistakes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by greenlantern, Feb 11, 2008.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The worst -- Sandy Penis for a mayor named Sandy Genis due to a spellchecker burp.
    When the copy editor was called into the editor's office the next day, fearing he'd be fired, the publisher said: "Next time remember she's not a penis, but a c*nt."
    Others, a senior "panty" party, instead of pantry, and barbecued children on a lunch menu.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

In my college newspaper, we put up a dummy cutline to gauge how much space we had layout-wise. Problem is, we never took it out. The cutline read: "This dude right here needs a name."

3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

This one was mine, all mine.

Ya know how "I" and "O" are next each other on the keyboard?

"Pleasanton's (whatever her name was) finished third in the shit put with a distance of 99-5.25."

And no one told me about it until after 11 a.m. the next day. Our publisher, however, knew it was just a typo. He just said, "Now you know the spell checker includes obscene words."

I was told the Pleasanton chick had fun with it herself. She told people it was a cow-chip tossing contest.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

worst mistake came in a headline i heard about from a prof.

A note saying good night actually got stuck into a headline accidently, so the headline about three basketball players leading a team to victory had the letters N, I and G, in it, right in a row.

Dont know how this was missed, but it got printed.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, as far as my personal mistakes go, the headline "Caps grab Peeters" has to be right up there.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I love the bit near the end, in which Gannett attempted to claim it wasn't responsible, and the court found it was because "Gannett micromanaged every facet of the newspaper's operation and inserted its own Unit Manager as the publisher of the newspaper."

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

mmmmm..... barbecued children

8. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

In a cutline, I mistyped New York as "Jew York."

Caught it as soon as I finished typing the sentence, and gasped loudly.

Probably would have been pretty bad if that had went to press.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bookmark.

10. jmm1412

jmm1412 Member

We had a major college player at the local school arrested for pubic intoxication in a sports-front headline.

Also had dummy type — referring to the subject of a refer as a liar — on sports front.

11. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I saw that too. I don't know if I would have shown up for work. But it was very funny stuff.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

In college, one of our reporters wrote a story about a girl who had been raped on campus and mentioned that the victim had "semen in her virginia."

A couple months ago, a former co-worker emailed me this mistake in a community brief he ran at his new shop: "The Podunk Lions Club will hold its sixth annual 5K Saturday morning. The race will begin at 10 a.m., and the Kids Fuck Run will start at 10:20." It was supposed to be a kids FUN run. His readers were not pleased.

Draft saved Draft deleted