1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Missy Franklin Olympian/bully?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I see no problem with this. She's a high school student who doesn't want to turn pro, so high school's where she's supposed to be competing this time of year.

If other parents don't like it, tough shit. At least they can brag about their kid competing against an Olympic champion.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Right?!

They should see it as an honor to be able to compete against her. How cool is that, etc.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is so swim.

We just had our youth Zone Championships out here last weekend. The pool where it's usually held was scheduled for "maintenance" last weekend -- even though this major tournament has been held at this pool on this weekend in January for as long as anyone can remember, they scheduled maintenance for this weekend. So they moved the event to another, smaller pool. And that meant they had to limit access.

What was the solution? Make a qualifying standard, right? Sure they did -- anyone who had a Junior Olympic or "A" flight time was NOT eligible for this event. Reason being, yep, there's somewhere else for them to swim.

4. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

My favorite part of the story is that Cherry Creek (and if you know Colorado, you know there is a little entitlement there) was pissed about 2011. A year in which she was a sophomore and still not on the national radar. She wouldn't be until her success at worlds that summer and the Olympics were still a year and a half away. So she shouldn't swim because she's way better than you and she might win four gold medals some day? Ridiculous.

I think this is a non-story. Most of the kids she swims against are going to think it's awesome. In fact, when she swam against Highlands Ranch a week earlier they all pretty much said that and got their pictures taken with her.

Would any of these parents and athletes be pissed if she swam for them? Hell no. When I was in high school in Denver I watched Chauncey Billips destroy the local basketball scene and Roy Halladay destroy high school hitters. Don't remember anyone saying those two were issues.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

This appears to be the crux of their argument, yes. They're pissed because someone else is doing to them what they've been doing to everyone else for years.

Summed up with a total lack of self-awareness here. For "everything," read: me.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This is an unreal article, and really a horrible (anecdotal) indictment of the "entitled kids" era.

Apparently this Cherry Creek has lost 19 times in 40 years... and they are bitching about losing? I am speechless.

SHUT THE FUCK UP, WHINERS!!

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Her teammate, Elizabeth Beisel, swam all four years in RI. After the 2008 games, she was a rock star. She'd do the first relay, two individual events then take off for her club practice. She signed autographs before and after meets.
    At states, she didn't bring her a-plus game, but she put on a show. Nicest kid in the world and the sport really took off because of her presence.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Missy Franklin isn't swimming for the high school team for the pleasure of kicking ass -- she's doing it so she can experience some semblance of a normal high school life.

If a school that's dominant loses a few meets because of it, then fuck them.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

A swimmer can only swim in four events in a dual meet (out of 11). Because of the scoring in high school swimming, stud swimmer alone is not going to take a crappy swim team and make them champs, like, say, a point guard, qb or ace pitcher. If Cherry Creek got beat, it was more than just Missy.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Reporter: "Missy, What is best in life? "
    Missy: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women. "

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I wonder how many Cherry Creek athletes just happen to end up going there for their arts program when the athletes should be in another school or even another district.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This. Because there will come a day when their kidlet will have their ass kicked in the job market by someone with a better degree and they won't be able to helicopter in and fix it.

Draft saved Draft deleted