1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mississippi

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This question is somewhat serious for natives or those with extended stays there. What is Mississippi like? My best friend taught in Mound Bayou/Cleveland, which is poor-poor, but for the most part, what's the state all about?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

This thread will not end well.

3. Songbird

Yeah, I sort of figure that, but even a few good answers will suffice.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

It has four eyes, two asses and one pee-pee.

5. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I went to Ole Miss and have traveled throughout the state. Parts are beautiful (like Oxford), parts are so-so with some nice spots (like Jackson, Natchez, Vicksburg) and some parts are terribly depressing.

The delta can appear depressing to some, but I find much of it beautiful.

It's a state with many problems, like any other, but it's also a great, warm place to those who embrace it.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

I once stayed at a Comfort Inn in Tupelo.

7. joe

joe Active Member

I have driven I-55 twice to New Orleans. Depressing interstate with evergreens on each side so you can't see the countryside. Otherwise, pretty cool.

8. Songbird

Newspaper-wise? Yes, I'm being cryptic. (And thanks so far for the insights).

9. Mississippi is a pretty nice place. North Jackson is really nice. Oxford is a pretty town. Rural other than that.

Sun comes up in the east, sets in the west, water is wet, cars run on petrol.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I kinda liked Tupelo... other than that, I got nothing

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Name a state that's produced more prodigious writers than Mississippi. That's all I got.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Intoxication...

Draft saved Draft deleted