1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mississippi State broadcaster Jack Cristil stepping down

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Citing health reasons, perhaps as soon as immediately following tonight's MSU-LSU basketball game:

http://blogs.clarionledger.com/msu/2011/02/23/sources-cristil-to-step-away-from-mic-because-of-health-issues/

I imagine many of you have never heard of Jack, as he never became a big name the way guys like Georgia's Larry Munson or Tennessee's John Ward did (partly because State hasn't really been that great at football over the years). But he's been the voice of MSU football since 1953, meaning he called 58 of the Bulldogs' 110 seasons of football.

His style is very understated, some might even say bland. But he was and is an absolute pro, and an institution in Starkville.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

What I like and remember most about Jack Cristil is you never wonder what the score is. Withing a minute or two after turning on the game, he'll tell you the score and situation. And can pound whiskey and chain smoke with the best of them.

Wrap it in maroon and white, Jack. You've had a good run, and it was a blessing listening to one of the greats.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'm eager to hear the end of tonight's game, assuming this bus gets out of traffic in time.

4. dixiehack

Finally in the car. On XM 201 for those so equipped.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Always sad when an institution like that fades into silence. Thanks for a half-century of service, Jack.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

58 years calling Mississippi State games? God, did anyone see more horseshit football than this guy did?

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Any number of ACC broadcasters and beat writers ...

8. dixiehack

Apparently he will call Saturday's game at UT for his finale.

9. dixiehack

Going on kidney dialysis. Sounds half a second from crying.

10. Sorry to hear about his health.

But has anyone ever encountered a more miserable person than Jack? Kudos for lasting 58 years in the business...that's better than most of us can hope for. But I hope I'm a bit less curmudgeonly at that age. Or maybe that's part of his charm that I just missed.

11. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

None of em had to deal with it for 58 years though.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Duke says hi.

Draft saved Draft deleted