1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mississippi State beat writers vs Louisiana-Lafayette

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Mississippi State, which has one of the larger media contingents of any college baseball program, played at Louisiana-Lafayette in an NCAA Regional last week. Turns out, the media facilities were a bit lacking.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/news/2014/06/05/visiting-sports-writers-slam-ul-baseball-field-press-area/10040347/

I understand these guys' point, as nothing is more frustrating than getting on site and not being provided the necessary tools to do your job (particularly in this age of live updates, constant tweeting, etc.). But they should have known that bitching about it on Twitter and to other media was going to get them nowhere.

The best part? Many of these same publications have to send writers back to Lafayette when Ole Miss plays the Ragin' Cajuns in a Super Regional this weekend.

2. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Some more on what Stevens said: http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/news/local/2014/06/05/msu-journalist-blasts-lafayette-as-worst-place-in-america/10020781/. Pretty bad stuff.

3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I get the bitching about the press setup that sounds like it was entirely lacking. But like Snake said, there are better channels to take than online media and complaining about it in print.

I'd be more concerned about what he said on the radio. He says that about virtually any other group, and he'd have already been fired. I don't agree with firing him, but if I was his editor, I'd ship his ass right back there for the super regional to cover Ole Miss. Should be good enough motivation to make him STFU the next time he wants to pop off.

Shows what happens when Mississippi people get the rare (first ever?) chance to look down their noses at anybody else. They trip over their dicks because they are so unaccustomed to that feeling. ;)

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Someone in Starkville called out Lafayette as the worst place in America?

Holy shit, hey pot, meet kettle.

As for me, I'll be eating breakfast at BBB on Sunday, if anybody wants to join me...

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Paul Simon never sang about Starkville, that's for sure.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Neither did Steve Earle or Lucinda Williams.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree with all of this. I don't have a problem with the writers complaining amongst themselves and many of their complaints are probably valid, but nobody outside of the business gives half a fuck.

When you complain about it, on the radio, on social media or in print, you look like a whiny asshole.

Anybody who has to fly out of Golden Triangle Regional Airport should be used to shitty work conditions. :D

8. TopSpin

TopSpin Member

I agree with all of the above. It's unprofessional as hell to whine about it in print.

There's nothing worse than a bunch of crybaby sports writers. Just do the damn job.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

More from the article:

"Not all the news was negative.

"The hospitality down there was great," Lowery said. "They fed us well. They even had beer for us in the press room. I would have traded the food and beer for better working conditions."

Not me.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

To say nothing of the fact that they're whining about COLLEGE BASEBALL!!!

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Which, you know, is pretty fucking big down south. ::)

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Young guy confusing being a comedian with being a reporter. He's learned his lesson.

Draft saved Draft deleted