1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mississippi police murder major college fooball recruit...maybe

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scribbled_Notz, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spnited

spnited Active Member

The only thing that seems "pretty plausible" to me is a massive police cover-up.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

What seems at least slightly plausible to me as I mull this story over:

Maybe this cop was in a pissed off mood; had had a shitty night.

Maybe a mile and half chase drove his anger level up significantly.

Maybe something happened at the scene between the two that pushed this officer over the edge; maybe causing him to do something like strike the subject or otherwise physically harm him.

And maybe he felt like the only way out was to make sure he was the only witness to the whole event.

3. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

We don't know what happened at the GF's house. Maybe the kid did something or tried to do something fairly damning, and that's why he didn't immediately stop for the cop -- he thought the cop was after him for whatever bad thing he did or tried to do at his GF's house. Then when he gave the cop his license, he thought, 'Well, damn, they're gonna find out what I did/tried to do at my GF's house and then I'm really screwed.' And in a moment of rash thinking, shot himself.

I'm not saying there's no way it's a coverup. How many murders of black men in the south have gone unsolved because the racist local police staff didn't feel like investigating, or just did it themselves? That's certainly possible. But like Orville said, nobody wants to believe their kid is capable of suicide, and all it takes is one rash moment -- and nobody disputes that the kid had a gun in his truck -- that is irreversible.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

I'm sure the white guy did it.

5. Yeah, because Mississippi's track record with these kinds of things is so good.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

That's what I mean; he's obviously guilty.

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

As the story mentions, given the kid's local celebrity, I'd be surprised if the cop didn't know who he was chasing.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Small town, very popular kid, stopped 18 times by one officer? The deputy knew who he was, and that's most likely why the deputy let him bet out of the truck.

Someone asked above why the police busted the window out. Could the window have fallen out? I mean, it had a shotgun blast through it, so it had to be weak.

I'm sort-of on the boat with Rusty. The kid had apparently just tried to break into his girlfriend's house, and that might've put him in a different frame of mind.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Which automatically means the cops are guilty? I notice how much the title of this thread deals with the notion of innocent until proven guilty.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

In my interpretation of the story, the kid did not try to "break in" to the girl's trailer. He tried to get some early morning ass, and either she wasn't having any of it, or more likely, her mother intervened in the transaction and decided to teach the kid a lesson by calling the cops on him.

11. three_bags_full

I didn't think about the getting-laid part, but I did think about the mom calling the cops after he left.

I also thought, instead of trying to break the door down, he might've just shook the door really hard.

12. three_bags_full

Oh, and nice conviction of the deputy in the thread title.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.