1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Missing school time for regular-season high school games

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Central-KY-Kid, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Doing some crowd sourcing for research as a Kentucky high school basketball coach recently proposed every varsity basketball team in the state be allowed two regular-season games (one home, one road) DURING school hours.

The premise is that it would build excitement and allow less privileged kids to support their school/classmates when they cannot make after-school regular-season games otherwise.

Since the 1980s, the Kentucky High School Athletic Association has had a bylaw (23) which forbids games being scheduled during school hours and even for teams leaving school early for long road games (note bylaw does NOT apply for playoffs/postseason).

So I'm wondering if any other states have similar rules?
    Is playing at 1 p.m. on a Tuesday a common thing elsewhere?

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

How about we just forget about actually educating the kids? It’s getting so bad that instruction time is pushed aside for everything else. Teach the kids. That’s most important.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The only school day games here are during postseason tournaments.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It’s Kentucky. Who the fuck cares? After bible instruction, meth construction and how to change the oil in your car what the hell do those kids need school for?

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I believe afternoon sports such as tennis, golf, cross country, baseball/softball and sometimes soccer, quite regularly have players leave school early to travel to games.

Spartan Squad and Inky_Wretch like this.
  6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

If you only do it occasionally as an event, wondering if you could schedule it so that every student has lunch, free period/phys Ed or some combo during that time so that people have the option of going to the game or just going to lunch or having a free period.

7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Several years ago, my school and our main county rival would play a home-and-home baseball series with the games beginning maybe 1-1:30. The whole school got to go out, sit in the sun, have a bit of a mental break, support their school, socialize, etc.
    It was a 100% win from any standpoint.
    Then along came the testing companies, lobbyists, and standardized testing.
    "We've got to stop this. Over the course of a 90-day semester, you are giving up an hour of instructional time. AN HOUR. THE HORROR! THE HORROR! We can't let you do something to promote mental health and strong communities!"

Dumbasses.

expendable and Scout like this.
  8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It sounds like what a lot of colleges do, schedule a women's basketball game in the daytime on a day high school seniors visit to expose them to a part of the college experience. The WNBA does this too, for the summer camp crowd.

That said, I can hear working parents screaming already.

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Great idea. Play the game the day before Christmas Break. Girls varsity at one school and boys varsity at the other.

Only glitch is some schools are so big they can’t hold the entire school, then only allow juniors and seniors to watch.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

A couple of our local golf teams get out about once a week, on average, to go play in tournaments. Those are all-day affairs even if it's a local course.

My town's high schools use some weird block schedule system that, near as I can tell, is a combination of a college scheduling system and the ancient Mayan calendar. Seniors seem to be in school about three periods a day, non-consecutively.
    I'll often call a coach to set up an interview with a player and ask what time they'll be available. 2:30 or 3, right before practice?
    The reply a lot of times is, "Hell if I know, let me check. They only have one class."
    So a couple of early-afternoon games now and then won't bother me much.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Not in Colorado, which still takes 10 days off around Christmas and New Year's to have zero sports activity at all -- no games or practices. Which, coming from SoCal where holiday tournaments are the norm, is still head-scratching but nonetheless welcomed.

12. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Cutting you some slack by not verbally ripping out your entrails and shoving them back into your body via your tear ducts because you're having a bad time right now. However, I have limits when it comes to being a convenient punching bag. After I type this, you are blocked.

Donny in his element and JC like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted