1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miss Hill really outdid herself this time..thanks ESPN..thanks for the gift...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Chee, Aug 22, 2008.

1. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Bolt gets my vote, too.

Don't penalize him because he doesn't compete in as many events.

If it was possible to lap the field in those sprints, he did it.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread started on this very topic.

2. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I'd say the '04 players took a beating in the court of public opinion for a month or two, but has Hill paid one iota of attention to the way Larry Brown has been savaged since for his awful work with the Athens team?

I'm pretty sure that at this point even Brown's family refers to him as "the dipshit coach."

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I didn't notice either. They were NBA players and I stopped caring -- whether it's Kobe Bryant of Manute Giobuleee or Uwe Blab for that matter...

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I've had about all of your Uwe Blab bashing I'm going to take, slap.

5. I think the column is OK, not great, and certainly not as brutal as some of y'all make it out to be.

I can definitely see where some of Ms. Hill's African-American friends would see a racial aspect, right or wrong, in the reaction to the 04 Olympic debacle and a hope for a better result this year.

Blithely dismissing such concerns by stating "race doesn't matter anymore," is misguided.

6. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

It's my opinion that the vast majority of people don't care about Hill's constant race ramblings. I think so many articles hitting on the same subject hurts her credibility. Enough is enough already.

7. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Re: Miss Hill really outdid herself this time..thanks ESPN..thanks for the gift.

Harvey Araton doesn't mention race, but through adept reporting and writing he makes notable points about what was wrong with the 2004 team.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/20/sports/olympics/20araton.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Michael Redd was pressed for time, being that practice with the Bucks in Milwaukee had run long. He had an appointment in Chicago, and refused to be late.

He hustled into the car, onto the Interstate heading south and was soon stepping inside Jerry Colangelo’s hotel suite, carrying a long garment bag.

“Will you excuse me a minute?” he said.

Colangelo waved him off. “You don’t have to change,” he said.

“I’d really like to,” Redd said.

Within minutes, his standard sweats discarded, Redd was suited up in the manner of a young Wall Street applicant.

“I did it out of respect for USA Basketball and I did it out of respect for Jerry,” Redd said Monday night in a private moment at the Olympic basketball venue. “I wanted to treat it like a job interview. I wanted to be on this team.”

In time, Redd’s dress code of honor became Colangelo’s go-to metaphor as he explained why the United States was no longer dressing down for Olympic men’s basketball, no longer treating the Games solely as a quadrennial marketing convention of overpriced basketball shoes.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hill has fast become William Rhoden light.

9. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Well, I dsiagree with your premise. I would assume that ESPN wants her to write about race, and that African-American readers of ESPN.com probably find this column reasonably relevant to their concerns.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

So she's paid to be a one-trick pony?

11. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Exactly. The kind of work you do here for free.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Like Jermaine Dye unloading on a hanging curve, right there.

Draft saved Draft deleted