1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miss California versus Gay Blogger Perez Hilton On Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Apr 21, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So am I dead to you, FJ dead to you, or Ho Rocca dead to you?

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Mo Rocca: dead to me. You and farmerj: still ah'ight to me. :D

3. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Unfortunately for America, President Obama agrees with Miss California.

4. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Good for Prejean for saying what she believes and shame on Hilton for calling her a "bitch" later. If he didn't like her answer, he shouldn't have asked the question. I'm glad Prejean was honest.
    I watched a morning show in which they interviewed Hilton and he said he hopes this doesn't usher in a trend where beauty pageants are decided on what the girls say. But didn't he just pretty damage her vote based on what she said?
    Look, I don't care about pageants, but screw Hilton. There are people that don't like gay marriage and if you don't like, then tough. If you don't want to know what someone thinks, don't ask.
    Now, Hilton go back in your hole.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Hilton made one really good point -- Miss America ought to give politically correct answers, because she will represent the United States and speaking engagements and functions no matter where she goes. She's supposed to be an all-encompassing personality. It's why you won't ever see a Miss America who advocates for marijuana's legalization, or who says it's OK to drive drunk, or who believes people shouldn't date outside their race, etc.

She could have said basically said it's up to the states to decide among themselves to avoid the personal response.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

That's a winner.

Who will remember anything about this event except for what Miss California said?

Objective: Accomplished. (Even if it wasn't intended to play out like this).

7. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

For those who didn't know - this girl was a former PadSquad for the Padres, ie she used to cheer on the Padres and throw t-shirts into the stands during the fifth inning.

So she also likes sports, I assume.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

So she'll be next in line for the newscaster role on a show like Best Damn Sports Show on FOX?

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

um, i would hope no one thinks this.

10. Faithless

Faithless Member

For my perspective of this, I'll switch hats to the one I wear as a pageant judge. I've been to pageant judge training and served as a judge for local preliminary pageants leading up to our Miss America Organization state pageant.

Judges are supposed to leave their opinions at the door when working a pageant. There have been times in the private interview with judges and the on-stage question of the competition when a contestant gave an opinion I disagreed with, but I didn't penalize her. If she spoke clearly, sounded confident and intelligent, and was committed to her opinion, I would give her high marks. What Hilton did is typical of novice celebrity judges who come into a pageant with a personal agenda and throws a hissy fit by giving a contestant like Miss California an incredibly low score based on her response.

The scoring between the final contestants going into the on-stage question must've been awfully close, which makes me wonder how the other judges scored Miss California. If Hilton is true and the OSQ cost Miss Cali the crown, then it's a sign most or all of the judges gave her a low score as well.

On the local level, on-stage questions come from a question the contestant hears during the private interview with the judges hours before the program. But on the state and national competitions, the pageant uses the element of surprise by making the contestants draw for a random question - like the Miss USA Pageant did.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Considering Trump is involved and because this pageant was shifted to starting at 7 p.m. when most of the nation was still enjoying some springtime sunshine instead of watching TV (hence the ratings drop this year) and because the judges' panel consisted of a collection of "Who's that?" celebrities ... well, my conspiracy theory alarm is tingling as I wonder if this whole thing isn't being ginned up to create buzz for the pageant.

12. Faithless

Faithless Member

Another gay Miss USA judge who possibly cost Miss California the title ... Brian Graden, president of MTV Networks and co-creator of the Logo channel (24 hour channel for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people). Graden's life partner is an attorney who fought for same sex marriage in California (later overturned by Proposition Eight).

Draft saved Draft deleted