1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miss California versus Gay Blogger Perez Hilton On Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Apr 21, 2009.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

I didn't see this anywhere else on he site, and only caught a slight bit of this being discussed on morning news, but I guess Miss California expressed her Judeo-Christian beliefs re: gay marriage and is now being hammered by the gay community, the PC police, and anybody else who feels they just have to weigh in.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,517137,00.html

Guess what, Gay community and PC advocates: She is entitled to express her opinion on this subject since they asked her as part of the contest.

I know this will open such a can of worms, but let's be civil, please.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

In a battle between a beauty show contestant and a celebrity-obsessed BLOGGER!, there are no winners. Just losers.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

This was mentioned very briefly on the Kenny Chesney thread on the Anything Goes board.

As I said there, "Perez" is probably thrilled about the whole controversy because people are talking about "Perez." The fact that he was even on the pageant in the first place is a wonderful example of the epic fail that is our society.

4. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Conversely, aren't people who are open to gay marriage allowed to express their opinions, too? I don't get all the outrage. Unless you can definitively prove she lost because of her answer then I don't see her point.

People are saying bad things about her? Well guess what:

She walked around in a bikini and asked to be judged.

Sorry not much sympathy from me.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I didn't even know Perez Hilton was a guy.

6. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Hey that's not fair. She wants to be judged on superficial things, like her looks and boobs. It's not fair to judge her on her opinions.

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

This was on Rachel Maddow's show last night. My favorite part of her response was about how its great where we live in a society with same-sex marriage and opposite marriage. Never heard of that before.

8. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I love the "free speech" argument you always hear at times like this. No one's saying she can't say this stuff, that it would be illegal to or that she should fired, jailed and fined for saying it, just that people find it offensive. In this case, she's asking to be judged. If she was fat and paraded around in a bathing suit, the judges (or people voting) would dock points. Also, she didn't answer the question that was asked.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Why does anybody give a shit about "Perez Hilton" anyway?

10. Grimace

Grimace Guest

"Gay marriage? Sorry I just don't get it. How can a guy be gay? I mean, look at this ass! Are you saying you'd turn that down? Oh, and God bless our troops."

Now that would have been a better answer.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The unfortunate aspect of this is it's overshadowing the health care answer that one of the contestants gave that is one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Agree with all the Perez Hilton bashing.

However, BNWriter, yes we have free speech in this country. That is a right granted by the government. It doesn't mean we are free from the repercussions of our speech from gossip column bloggers or anyone else.

You are free to say what you want but aren't free from taking the heat for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted