1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miss America doesn't care about sex predators

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Perry White, May 1, 2007.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-liusa0501,0,7445954.story?coll=ny-top-headlines&vote29464043=1

Miss America won't testify in sex predator sting

The case against at least one -- and probably more -- of the 11 men arrested in Suffolk with the help of the beauty queen and the television show "America's Most Wanted" is in jeopardy because representatives for Miss America 2007 Lauren Nelson have told prosecutors she won't return to Long Island to testify, said Suffolk District Attorney Thomas Spota.

Without Nelson available as a star witness, every case she actively participated in during the undercover police sex sting may be up in the air, said Spota. He called the police operation well-intended but "nothing more than a publicity stunt."

"Given the fact that we have now determined that Miss America was actually speaking to one of those arrested, I have instructed prosecutors not to present any more cases to the grand jury until we can determine her involvement," said Spota, who added that police didn't tell his office about the April 20 operation until the afternoon before it went down.

Referring to one case that already has been presented to a grand jury, Spota said, "That case, in my view, could be compromised."
    Officials with the Miss America Organization did not return several calls for comment Monday. Spota said his office was trying to contact Nelson Monday, but was unable to do so. "Her agents have told us that she's not coming back to testify," Spota said.

2. Eh?
    This is weird.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

She is who we thought she was, then crown her ass!

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

It's already crowned, isn't it?

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Subpoena her.

I somehow doubt the Miss America organization would be too wild about the idea that Miss America couldn't set foot in the state of New York without being served with a subpoena.

6. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Wow, what a strong stance, Miss America. That's pretty damn weak - if you're going to start something, you'd better finish it.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Outing alert: BigRed is Mike Tyson.

8. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I DVRed that show and watched it today. What a disappointment. Nowhere near the entertainment quality provided by Chris Matthews. All John Walsh did was badger the guys as they did the perp walk in handcuffs.

9. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Interested in some trained pigeons? They come cheap.

10. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2007/05/01/2007-05-01_miss_america_says_she_iwilli_testify.html

So much for the "Miss America doesn't hate sexual predators" stand....

11. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Good.

BTW, if you think TTIUWOP:
    [​IMG]
    Miss America 2007 Lauren Nelson of Oklahoma, with a team of specially-trained cops, take down accused predators who thought they were about to meet with a teenage girl, on a special edition of America's Most Wanted.

12. However, I have decided that this is the best thread title we've had in years,

Draft saved Draft deleted