1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Minute Maid Park or Rangers Ballpark?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rumpleforeskin, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Re: Minute Maid Park or Ameriquest Field?

I've been to MMP before and loved it. I'm trying to knock as many ballparks off my list as possible and going to Rangers Ballpark would do that.

Yet, there is something to be said about nightlife after a game. My buddy and I will probably be driving 3 hours back home regardless, so we'll have to take that into consideration.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Very true. The BOB is just freakin' massive. It does feel like an airplane hanger. I don't get the airplane hanger feeling in Houston.

Minute Maid would easily fit inside of it. Plus, it's got a street level press box.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Saw plenty of it at Turner Field last weekend.

4. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I've tailgated at Rangers games before. I'll be doing it again next month for a large group I'm treating to a game. If you catch the Twins/Rangers game on Wednesday keep in mind that it's Dollar Hot Dog Night. Just don't eat seven. Get seats on the first base side and you'll be in the shade the entire game.

There's also an "All You Can Eat" section in the upper home run porch in right field. Tickets run from $25-$31 per seat. It's all you can eat hot dogs, nachos [chips, cheese, and optional jalapenos], chicken breast sandwiches, popcorn, and peanuts and all you can drink fountain drinks. The food is served buffet style in a large air conditioned room at the top of the section. There are tables and booths with televisions to sit at and watch the game if the heat's too much. You can also buy beer up there as well.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yeah, it all depends on the parking situation. Turner Field's got the old Fulton County Stadium lot right next to it, so there's tons of room to tailgate. Many people do.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

2004-06 seasons. Then the housing bubble burst and Ameriquest (the company) went Tango Uniform.

Very fitting ... a subprime sponsor for a subprime franchise.

7. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I was in Arlington at an annual convention during those years. Staying at the hotel right next door. And I swear, I don't remember it ever being called anything but The Ballpark. Maybe it's one of those times when I just kept calling it what I had always called it. Besides, isn't the street in front of it called Ballpark Way?

One thing I do remember, is that they must have the biggest Jumbotron ever. If you get on the correct side of the hotel, you can actually watch a game on the Jumbotron from your hotel room.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Maybe I'm just over Minute Maid. The hill, the train ... the FLAGPOLE IN THE MIDDLE OF CENTER FIELD ... Whoever designed it must have taken a break from his day job of designing minature golf courses.

9. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Dollar Dog Night? I wish to subscribe to the Rangers' newsletter.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The train is fine. The building is an old station. The hill, not so much.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Wasn't the hill at the Juice Box stolen from old Crosley Field?

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I am not embarrassed to say this but I had no idea what part of the country this thread was talking about when I saw the title. Shit, I thought it was talking about the same field.

F these corporate names.

I was thinking Minute Made was Houston, but what the fuck does Texas have to do with orange juice?

Draft saved Draft deleted