1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Minor-league baseball on TV? Would you watch?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, Jun 26, 2007.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

They've shown the Memphis Redbirds a few times on FSN here.

2. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Unless it was aired in a local market or involved a very marquee talent, I don't see it working out well at all. There is already enough MLB to quench the thirst of baseball fans.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Mediacom state-wide here in Iowa has done Iowa Cubs games (they've only done one game so far this year) and they have started showing the Midwest League games with Cedar Rapids and the Quad Cities. They have started to show high school softball, but it'll be nice for them to do a regular-season summer baseball game and not just the state championship game.

In terms of collegiate baseball, it would be a good idea. The last two years, the Iowa Conference (Division III) softball tournament has been shown on Mediacom, but not the baseball tournament. Baseball fans would be amazed on how damn good Division III baseball is in Iowa, compared to seeing Iowa and Northern Iowa getting piss-pounded in their leagues year in and year out.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I watch minor league soccer (the USL) on FSC. So I'm sure there are baseball fans out there who'd watch MiLB games.

I wonder, though, if any minor league GMs would have that "I don't want the game on TV because it might hurt the gate" mentality?

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I would've watched last year when Billy Butler and Alex Gordon were in the minors.

6. danhawks

danhawks Member

that Wichita Wranglers team last year was the real deal, wasn't it?
    You can get just about all of your answers to these questions by checking out MiLB.com on a regular basis. Like when the No. 1 pick in the year X draft is facing the No. 2 pick from that draft...that sort of thing.

7. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

When DirecTV and MLB launch their 24-7 channel, I figure they'll have some regular minor league content. With all of that airtime to fill, it would make sense. NFL Network had to fill airtime with a bunch of BS and rebroadcasts of shows. If you factor in the minors, they could put together a really vibrant baseball channel without having so many repeats.

It's a pretty neat experience to follow a guy for years. I covered one of the summer college leagues in the mid-1990s and there are four or five guys who I covered that are every-day major leaguers now. It might help build interest in baseball to give the average fan the chance to experience that. Probably not game broadcasts, but like someone else said, a TWIB kind of show. Or a Minor League Baseball Tonight. I hope the minors get some airtime when the baseball channel starts -- won't help anyone without DirecTV, though.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I guess if the NFL Network can show the Big 33 Classic ...

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I agree with those who say that minor league baseball would not be considered watchable on a large scale. But going to a minor league game is a great experience, best view of a game you'll ever have.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The thing I never expected is, the independent-league franchises around here are beginning to offer a better experience than the true, National Association farm clubs. Lancaster and York both have beautiful new ballparks with great downtown atmosphere.

11. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Does anyone remember that reality show they did on the St. Paul Saints in the mid 90's?
    I'm kindof surprised there hasn't been more shows like that.
    The only reason I remember that show is that in one episode they had a brief clip of the old minor league team in my hometown that was owned by Mike Veeck and Bill Murray for a year or so.
    I forget what the show was called, but I think it aired on PBS or something?
    As for airing minor league games on national TV....no way it flies unless there's a reason to watch for the general fan. Now regional affiliates showing regional minor league games I understand, but it's a tough sell showing minor league games on national broadcasts IMO.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

It is a great experience, but do you care about the game? Most of the crowd probably couldn't say who won 10 minuters after the game is over.
    We debate in our shop how much to cover our local Class A team. Lot of people go, but how many care enough to read about the squad?

Draft saved Draft deleted