1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Minor-league baseball on TV? Would you watch?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, Jun 26, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

If somebody wants to see the fast-track prospects, they're better off going to a AA game than AAA. AAA has more journeyman hangers-on.

2. JD Canon

JD Canon Guest

only if they show the dizzy bat race.

3. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

I'd watch the top guys, especially the pitchers. If Buchholz is pitching for Portland, Adam Miller for Buffalo, etc., I'd definitely watch.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

What I really want to see is for Classic to find OLD telecasts, like the '50s and '60s. Not the '80s and '90s.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

There are a few complications to this plan:

1. The games would have to focus on the stud prospects, and what happens if Johnny All-Star gets promoted to the big lead club a couple days prior?

2. How many bonafide studs are out there in the minors right now? Homer Bailey's been up with the Reds for almost a month now. Who else has real nationwide name recognition that's toiling in the International League, PCL or NY-Penn League?

3. As others have said, minor league baseball is more about fan entertainment than actual product. Waiting for Jake the Diamond Dog to retrieve bats at home plate gets old after the first time he does it.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

A niche channel in our area does Single-A games, but they're usually looking for any kind of filler to keep things going. They also show HS football, basketball and baseball.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

CSS shows Southern League baseball weekly.
    It is either that or broadcast the Auburn spring football game for like the 100th time.
    Of course, I don't watch ESPN, so I don't care. But it would be somewhat interesting to take the top 10 picks and track their progress throughout the season.
    But almost do it like a reality show, where the cameras follow them everywhere. On-field, off-field, everything they do.
    It would be everything most sports fans hate, but it would work.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I've already watched three minor league games when they were on TV this season, just because I happened to have some prospects in AL fantasy keeper leagues in those games. I would watch a channel with minor league baseball every now and then, sure. Why not?

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Depends on the organization.

Almost every major prospect for the Braves (Chipper, Glavine, McCann, Marte, Francoeur, LaRoche) has played in Richmond.

Some organizations (Red Sox come to mind) fill the AAA roster with a lot of never-was players who are into their 30s. Not that it is wrong, it's just how the organization operates.

10. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Some organizations (Red Sox come to mind) fill the AAA roster with a lot of never-was players who are into their 30s. Not that it is wrong, it's just how the organization operates.

But that doesn't stop NESN from showing the PawSox at least once a week. (usually on travel days)

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I think it could work on a demand channel, where the viewer is able to choose which teams to watch. I know I could really care less about Colorado's farm teams, but I'll sit and watch the Mets' clubs.

12. T2

T2 Member

FSN Pittsburgh is carrying three home games this season of the Washington (PA) Wild Things of the independent Frontier League. None of these players will ever make it to the majors, so there's nothing to interest viewers who are looking for up-and-coming stars. But there might be some who'll watch for the novelty of it. The telecast is funded by the Wild Things themselves, who find local sponsors to defray the costs. It's actually a three-hour commercial to entice viewers to come out to the ballpark.

Draft saved Draft deleted