1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Minneapolis Star Tribune files for bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by accguy, Jan 15, 2009.

1. accguy

accguy Member

Not a surprise, but not good....

http://www.startribune.com/local/37685134.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUUs

2. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Newspapers ... bankrupt in cash and leadeship.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

And the letter r. ::)

4. Ric Flair guy

Ric Flair guy Member

The Strib's sports section is still strong. The news side has been bad for a long time. Wonder if the two Twin Cities dailies will ever merge?

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

They could start by sharing content, like Dallas and Fort Worth.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Listened to the Sports Huddle with Sid and Dave on WCCO. Sid Hartman is a columnist for the StarTrib. Sid was asked about the bankruptcy and came off sounding like an idiot. He said that the paper is great and putting out its best ever product. But didn't want to talk about the business side of things except that people like classified ads with pictures.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A) Columnist is an inaccurate term. Hometown shill is more accurate.
    B) When doesn't Sid sound like an idiot?

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It was the first time I heard Sid on the radio. I'm new to the state and don't listen to the radio much on weekends.

9. OK, Sid stories.
    Avengers, assemble!

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I know that he once was furious with Tampa Bay Bucs beat writers because we were laughing during a Bucs-Vikings game and not giving the event the reverence it was entitled to -- this was between screaming about the officiating, of course. But unfortunately, that's all I got.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

How many regular staffers' jobs could Sid save by finally, at age 89 or whatever, retiring?

Of course, he would also send into unemployment the staffers whose sole job is to clean up Sid's copy and make it publishable.

12. Ric Flair guy

Ric Flair guy Member

Don't they have staffers that actually write Sid's columns? I don't think they've let him near a keyboard for the past 20 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted