1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Minneapolis advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Downtown Minneapolis, not St. Paul. Yes, I grew up in Minneapolis and am a snob that way.

I'm going home next week and will try to remember to ask my brother-in-law for some recommendations. He's in the restaurant business. He used to work at Manny's and Chino Latino (and owned Babalu's and La Sirena Gorda).

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

This the place, YGBFKM?

[​IMG]

Also, I stand ready to offer my services!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Machine Head

This thread needs Rosie! :D

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

As I typed my cab remark, I was thinking of Mickey's. I also had a great steak and hit up a cool bar when I was there for a few days. No idea of the name on the restaurant and bar. I just got in the hotel shuttle and said, "Take me to where I can get a good meal and some drinks." Found out later the shuttle was not supposed to be used as a cab. Oops. Anyway, I dug the vibe of St. Paul and was not impressed with downtown Minneapolis.

5. Machine Head

I can't let this go and I make no apologies..

Bloomington, not Minneapolis, is where Mizzou appears to be currently booked.

Close to where Met Center, home of the Minnesota North Stars once stood.

Now we get to the part I will not apologize for:

Norm Green sucks.

There, I feel better.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The Stars are celebrating 20 years in Dallas this season.

7. Machine Head

Norm Green sucks, now and forever.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

From my friend, a part-time food writer, Twin Cities for life guy (although he's a St. Paul snob). But here are his Minneapolis ideas, although they're untested, he says, because he only goes places now where his kids can spill shit.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I preferred St. Paul to Minneapolis when I used to frequent the area, but they both have their charms. For a weekend stay, downtown Minnie is probably the best option.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Just get you some wild rice soup and you can't go wrong.

And is April too late for that big ice castle thing?

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Is Glam Slam still open?

12. Machine Head

Long gone, as will any ice sculpture in April.

You will be here before things start growing, blooming, etc., so enjoy the desolate landscape.

Second what others say about the hotel location. The 494 Strip ain't what it used to be. If you're stuck in Bloomington there are some spots. Viking HQ is a few minutes down the road so you could get a group picture at the Viking ship, which would be a lifetime memory!

On 494 is Senser's for the sports bar thing, and a few other dining options close by. Do you have a car or are you cabbing? From Bloomington you're looking at about a $40.00 cab ride one way to downtown Minneapolis.

From Small Town Guy's list Butcher and Boar is the one to go with, to me.

Manny's is also good. Always has been.

Norm Green sucks.

Draft saved Draft deleted