1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel -- Green Bay Packers reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Oct 4, 2012.

1. writingump

writingump Member

Cheap trumps experience and ability in most newsrooms these days. Just the facts, ma'am, as Joe Friday used to say.

2. sm72

sm72 Member

Cheap/young can have ability, you know. Regardless of who they get, it'll be someone who's got enough talent and relentlessness to cover an NFL team.

3. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I bet sm72 is young, cheap and able, with relentlessness!

4. sm72

sm72 Member

That, a good deal of desperation and the mouth of a sailor should someone try to step.

5. awriter

awriter Active Member

Funny. People complain that there are no job openings. Then, a job opens and they complain about it.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Word is they're down to finalists and the majority of the group are really, really young as in, almost straight out of school...

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The Packers deserve no better!

8. writingump

writingump Member

Gee, now there's a surprise. Experience means nothing any more. There are hundreds of experienced writers who never get a sniff. Used to be that experience counted for something. Now it's just another mark against you while the young and cheap win out. Sorry sm72, but you haven't paid the dues myself and lots of others have paid, only to have our experience and knowledge turned against us.

9. Mizzougrad96

I have no doubt that the person who gets this job will do a great job. The JS already has two of the best NFL writers in the country, so they have the luxury of being able to bring in someone who is young, cheap and hungry and bring them along.

Bedard did an amazing job. Dunne did an amazing job. I'm sure the next person will do fine as well.

10. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Yep, no young person has ever been rejected for a lack of experience. Heck, Doodah is covering the Yankees for the New York Times right now.

11. Mizzougrad96

For all I know they'll hire someone with 25 years experience on a NFL beat, but I do know that two of the finalists are pretty much straight out of school, but obviously they have the crazy impressive resumes that it would require for someone that young to be considered for this job.

Based on the last two hires the JS has made, I don't think they've given anybody any reason to doubt that they're going to make a good hire, even with limited resources. They're better off going young than to hire a veteran who is going to be pissed about making a fraction of what his/her counterparts are. That's just the reality we're in right now.

12. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

As a Wisconsin native, that is disappointing. You would think they'd want to hire somebody a little older with some experience to possibly take over for Bob and/or Tom when they retire. Instead they're content with hiring somebody "fresh out of school" who will use the job to boost his resume and then move on in a year or two.
    I don't believe this to be a "stepping stone" job - not on an NFL beat at a paper this size. This is a career job with a lot of potential for growth for somebody patient enough to learn from two of the best.

Draft saved Draft deleted