1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel -- Green Bay Packers reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Oct 4, 2012.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1443172

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel is seeking an experienced, versatile, hard-working reporter to join our team that is covering the Green Bay Packers.

The ideal candidate will be an excellent reporter and writer adept at developing sources; writing with insight, clarity and flair; juggling the demands of breaking news for both print and online; blogging and interacting with readers through various social media; and embracing new forms of technology and media that help the Journal Sentinel expand its audience.

The Journal Sentinel's team on the Packers beat includes veteran reporters Bob McGinn, Tom Silverstein and Lori Nickel. The ability to work with them and others in a collaborative and complementary way is important.

Applicants for this job also must be aware that covering the Packers and the NFL is an arduous year-round job, with off-season mini-camps, free agency, the draft and training camp all very important to readers in addition to the season itself. A strong work ethic is necessary. Experience covering the NFL is preferred but not necessary.

The job is based in Green Bay and the person filling it will be expected to live in the Green Bay area.

Apply to Michael Davis, Assistant managing editor/sports and digital development, at mdavis@jrn.com

2. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Oh my. Release the hounds.

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Surely not ...

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If the rumors were true about what Dunne was making, this job might be in the San Diego range of pay.

5. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/3445499/

USA Today called him, FWIW. The second Olean (N.Y.) Times Herald alumnus they've hired, joining Rachel George.

6. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Pretty sure there is a sizable cost of living difference between, say, Escondido and Appleton.

7. Mizzougrad96

I would hope so... :)

8. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I had a hell of a week one night in Appleton.

9. sm72

sm72 Member

I'm assuming they're looking for a vet here, but I don't really know the context, so I'll ask a stupid question: How old was Dunne when he got hired? Do they generally seek new talent and promote from within, or are they looking for an elite guy on this one?

10. Mizzougrad96

They won't hire an elite guy. They don't have the $$$ to do that. I know someone who turned down the chance to interview for the job when Dunne got it because they weren't offering enough.

My guess would be that they'll be looking for someone like Dunne, young, cheap and hungry.

11. sm72

sm72 Member

*scrambles to laptop*

12. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Well good for him.

Draft saved Draft deleted