1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Milwaukee J-S's editors take to the mound

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Joe Williams, Apr 14, 2009.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

He did that, TOO.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The free food in the press box and press parking discussion is a debate to be had elsewhere. This is a long way from that.

This is much worse than Wilbon throwing out the first pitch at Wrigley or leading them in Take Me Out to the Ballgame, or whatever he did because he does not cover the Cubs.

Last I checked, the J-S still covers the Brewers.

Howard's antics in the past have been legendary. High-fiving Ray Allen, trying to get his picture taken with Tiger Woods, flipping out in the press box when the Packers were getting killed on MNF. I could go on and on...

For the record, I think the J-S is an incredible product with incredible writers. The NFL coverage in that paper is among the best in the nation. I don't think any paper has two NFL writers that are better than McGinn and Silverstein. Their college coverage of Wisconsin and Marquette is outstanding as well.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Why do the writers there tolerate the antics of the editors?

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

What exactly do you suggest? A coup?

I think we've all seen bosses who weren't worthy of their jobs. Nothing you can do as an underling. It's not like Howard's transgressions aren't well known. The higher-ups keep him around, you grin and try to stay on his ever-fickle good side. Because if you end up on his bad side (often with no rhyme or reason) he will make your career hell. Yay, leadership!

(not saying anything about Kaiser, whom I don't know at all nor have I ever even heard mentioned prior to this thread. Speaking solely, in this example, about Howard)

5. Mizzougrad96

It's a great paper with a great union and most of the writers there have been there a long time.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, let's be clear, and I'm not really directing this at you, IJAG.

I don't know Howard, really. But I know Marty Kaiser a little bit, and he has a record as an outstanding newspaper editor.

7. imjustagirl

Understood, SF. I was referring 99 percent to Howard. Sorry. I should have clarified. I'll go fix my post. I know nothing of Kaiser and had never heard of him prior to this video.

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Gateway drugs. Beware, lest they lead to the hardcore addiction on display in that video.

9. Mizzougrad96

That's like implying that caffeine leads to heroin. ;D

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Best quote from the SE: "Why you all in my face like that? It's going to be nasty."

Nice toss from Kaiser, too.

As for what the writers can do. Haven't writers and copy editors at other papers taken out ads criticizing the action of management? One ad rep there should pitch it.

11. imjustagirl

With a 6.6 percent pay cut on the table to be voted on next week by the union, with a negative vote leading to 20 more people losing their jobs? Not the best time to be spending union dues to take out an ad criticizing management.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Kaiser might be a swell fellow, but if a writer or a copy editor makes a mistake in his or her daily work, that staffer is expected to rectify it in a timely manner, learn from it and not repeat the mistake. Meanwhile, Kaiser hired and continues to back Garry Howard as SE despite his antics and unprofessionalism (along the lines Mizzou noted), yet never, ever owns up to that mistake.

That is not leadership. The staff there deserves better than a supervisor they can't respect and a top boss who won't address a situation.

Draft saved Draft deleted