1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Millennials offended at being portrayed as easily offended

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TyWebb, Aug 11, 2016.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Manufacturing reasons to feel superior to younger people is a time-honored American tradition.

dixiehack, Double Down, SFIND and 2 others like this.
  2. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

The company I work for is obsessed with what it needs to do to hire and retain millennials. The entire performance review process has been changed so people will be told how they are doing frequently, perhaps even daily. Certainly, employees should get timely feedback. However, the system also is set up so one gets only positive feedback. If you want to tell someone they should stop doing something they are doing incorrectly or poorly or whatever, you can't say "that was wrong, you need to do it this way." In fact, I don't think we are even allowed to say the employee did anything incorrectly or poorly. Rather, we are supposed to say "have you considered doing X" as if they have a fucking choice between doing something the stupid thing they've been doing or doing what they should be doing.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

One difference is that younger people - along with most people - have access to easier information and content.

Yet this also quickly splits those who "get it" and want context and information from life and history to those who want to rant about Kanye.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

In such an environment, I suspect that people have "strengths" and ... "opportunities for growth"

bigpern23 and Songbird like this.
  5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"Does anyone else think this test shows great room for improvements?"

doctorquant likes this.
  6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

So it's Al Gore's fucking fault.

TyWebb likes this.
  7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I taught a class of millennials last fall. I didn't think it was that bad at all. One girl quit the student newspaper when I told her I thought she did a nice job on a humor piece, but I wanted her to take the weekend and try a second draft because I thought it had the potential to be funnier. But for the most part, they were smart and funny and ok with being challenged. They did like feedback, but they were pretty receptive to it. I ripped them a couple times and they were ok, and it helped them improve. One kid didn't cover a football game for the student paper because he wanted to go play basketball with his friends and he "Just wasn't feeling it" according to him. He almost cried when I held him after class to talk about it. He also turned into one of my best writers and reporters by the end of the semester. It was important to keep in perspective that they're just figuring shit out, the same way that I was at that age, and I think it's harder now for 100 different reasons.

I watched the clip of the show that inspired this thread. Poor Joel McHale. What a garbage show. Funny concept, maybe, but really bad jokes.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

And then, as is turning out to be the case, after the company bends over backward seven different ways, the millennial leaves after 2-3 years because he or she is "bored."

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

2-3 years isn't an acceptable amount of time to put into a job?

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The creator, Mike Gibbons, is just using this theme to promote the show. He told the story about testing the show to provoke the same reaction from the press. Or the reporter was a plant.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Millennials are 18-35.
    Millennials | Pew Research Center

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

If you're hiring people for important jobs (and what jobs do hiring managers consider not important), do you want someone who's using you as just a stepping stone? Do you want to keep going through the same shit with every position every 2-3 years?

Draft saved Draft deleted