1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Millennial Auto Theft Deterrent ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Oct 16, 2019.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Second the paddle-shifter endorsement; my Alfa Romeo has them and when I drop it into race mode and use the paddle shifters, it's like piloting a fighter jet.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Just dawned on me that the very first video I watched on something called YouTube was how to heel-and-toe. Epic.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I did the paddle shifting in my buddy’s 911 twin turbo and it was a blast but I still like clutch better (except for traffic). Probably just nostalgia.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Family car is a 2013 Forester XT. Automatic.

My car is a 1998 Mustang Cobra. Those only came with a clutch. I can take 45mph curves at 70, downshifting and powering through the apex.

Most cars will drive where you point them, even on tight curves. It’s the driver who gets timid, not the car.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I've worked in LA and the traffic for 30 years. I had a 1987 acura integra when I got out of school, and a few years ago, I got a used 2009 miata.
    I caught a lot of crap from my friends for the miata. I loved the miata. Sadly, a woman made an illegal left turn in front of me on Pico Blvd, and bye-bye Miata. My guess is she didn't see it.

Its the weirdest thing. i detest traffic as much as the next guy. But the shifting in traffic never bothered me one iota ever.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No.

Had to rent a vehicle when a utility truck did more than $2,000 damage to my vehicle. Stuck with a Nissan Altima with the option described above.

Um, no. Garbage. Tolerated the slushbox and couldn't wait to get my vehicle back.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Stay off Pico. It's a hell hole.

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Living in the big, bad city, I haven't had a car in 10 years. But always owned a stick-shift when I did have a car. Just enjoyed driving a manual. Got that from my pops.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Haven't had a manual in about seven years (since my son was born), but they are certainly more fun to drive. I'd rather have an automatic for commuting, but it's definitely a more visceral experience hammering it on a straight or accelerating though the apex with a manual. If I buy a third "fun" car in the next few years, it'll be a manual.

When you have kids, though, it helps to have that right hand free sometimes to pick up something they dropped, or hand them a wipe or snack or whatever.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

I learned to drive on a stick and have had them off and on for years, but it has been a while now. One of the joys for me of renting a car in Europe is that you know the car is going to be a stick. Driving the streets of Rome or some small Tuscan town in anything but a stick would seem wrong.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Hell, when I was growing up you didn't get much more than that out of the CAR.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Back when a "Five year, 50,000 mile warranty" was the gold standard.

Draft saved Draft deleted