1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Millenial complains to CEO in open letter; finds out that the real minimum wage is $0

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Feb 26, 2016.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

BigCircus-
    All the returns aren't in yet.
    Marty Shkreli and his kind are still coming down the pike.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

There's also not-insignificant overlap on that Venn diagram, as Shkreli illustrates.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Marty is a problem, not a symptom.

Statistically, millennials are more likely to cheat in school than generational counterparts.
    Less likely to make a personal effort to protect the environment.
    Less likely to respect copyright laws.
    So on so forth.

I know you lot are used to having sunshine blown up your ass by your parents, but the inability to accept criticism has been one of the telltale signs.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If she were writing from the perspective of someone living in Akron, Ohio, I would have a ton of sympathy for her.

But she's not. She insists on living in the Rolls-Royce of American cities on a minimum-wage paycheck.

I have tons more experience than this person, have been in the workforce uninterrupted for 33 years, have made a decent to good salary for most of those years, have been saving for retirement since I was 27, have zero debt . . . and freely admit I AM TOO FUCKING POOR TO LIVE IN THAT CITY.

And I'm supposed to be on her side?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I want to stress again that I'm not on the original writer's side, but does San Francisco not need waiters and sanitation workers? Is it not a problem that those workers can't live there?

amraeder likes this.
  6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

She lost me early on, but the part where she really lost me and I was assured of never being on her side was this:

"A whole year answering calls and talking to customers just for the hope that someday I’d be able to make memes and twitter jokes about food. If you follow me on twitter, which you don’t, you’d know that these are things I already do. But that’s neither here nor there. Let’s get back to the situation at hand, shall we?"

I think she expected to work in customer service for a couple of weeks, during which time her boss, including the CEO of Yelp, would follow her on Twitter, realize that they had someone ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT in their midst, pluck her from corporate dronedom and promote her to her rightful position, making memes and jokes and paying her what she's "worth." She dismisses it with the "that's neither here nor there," but to me, that's the crux of it, right there.

bigpern23, Ace, murphyc and 4 others like this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You CAN live there if you are willing to make the 327 sacrifices (roommates, 2nd job, etc.) that the waitress/sanitation worker in, say, Fayetteville, Ark., doesn't have to make. Otherwise, everyone would just pack up and live in SF. The key is at what point the sacrifices become so burdensome that the city cannot attract these workers. It has long passed that point for people like me. Others, however, are still willing to try to make a go of it.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The tough thing about working in SF is if you don't live there, whatever savings you have gets a chunk taken out by bridge tolls and parking fees. Even Bart is a $10 round trip from Oakland.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The issue of affordable housing in inner cities, which is a major issue, should not be mixed up with the tripe this woman wrote.

No one looks good here. Not the self-important whinger, not Yelp (they really value their employees tons, it seems), not anyone piling on.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It also felt like it was possible to work hard, learn the ropes, hone your craft and progress up the ladder based on merit and your skills. Nowadays, there's a lot of bottom rungs of the ladder and a lot of top rungs, but not a lot of middle ones in between.

Tweener and fossywriter8 like this.
  11. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

One of my big questions for her is, if she moved there to be near her dad, why didn't she live with him for the first year or so? That would have saved a lot money.
    And you still have to make sacrifices.
    I can tell her from experience that ramen noodles and a can of soup make a filling meal. And that's not even the name brand soup, that's the generic/store brand. Learn to cut coupons.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Her dad probably couldn't stand her whiny ass.

SpeedTchr and Vombatus like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted