1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Militia movement

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

While I agree there's plenty of stupid, here, you might want to actually read the linked story.

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Azrael,

I just find it dubious. When someone joins a militia, is there a government sign-in sheet? I find it hard to believe it's up by 755 per cent. (If you told me they were up, I'd believe it. But I'd like to know how the research.)

Is it possible people were looking harder under an Obama administration than a Bush one? I don't know. I'm just asking.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The Southern Poverty Law Center study is linked as a .pdf in the story.

4. How does one define a "patriot group"? Do the "Tea Party Patriots" count? How about the New England Patriots? Or maybe even the Patriot League.

Coincidentally, The Patriot was on TV today.

5. Elliotte Friedman

The other figure quoted...the hate groups from 604 in 2000 to more than 1,000 now...that I would believe. Seems like the kind of growth you'd see in a decade.

You're going to tell me hate groups increased by 67 percent, but militia by almost 800? In one-third of the time? Sorry, but it doesn't add up.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I'm gonna have Metallica stuck in my head all night.

7. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

So what we're saying is that America has been turning to shit since Obama was elected. I knew it!

9. Elliotte Friedman

That's actually a really good story, thanks for linking. But, aside from the "sweeping" comment, there's nothing about size. Just about nuisance, which I'd absolutely believe.

10. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The teabagger variety for sure.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

No, no - it is a research study that has produced the results we are looking for so therefore it must be gospel truth.....[/crossthread]

Draft saved Draft deleted