1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Military experience = presidential loser??

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, Jul 17, 2008.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Is he really looking out for you?

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I've got a nickel here that says 'yes.'

3. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

We are talking partially about the FreeMason society types yes. As I said above, I too have a part of me that would be considered part of the movement. But there are certain stances people in this movement take that I want nothing to do with. As I have said many times on this board, I am a mess politically. I am all over the place depending on the issue.

I don't claim to know it all, I simply think that there are some in said S-P movement or those that consider themselves liberal, such as Zeke, that see no room for discussion or want to even hear opposing viewpoints. If you have a different opinion on a topic automatically you are a "foof or a moron". Or even worse, you are rascist or even better, on par with Hitler.

I'm just so sick of it all.

To disagree is not to shout over the other to prove a point, it is to talk openly, to create dialogue and come to a conclusion from there. You may sway the other person to see it your way or not, but that still does not make them a "foof or a moron".

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Holy shit, a talking nickel!

5. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Yet you regularly watch Fox News, which does not adhere to that philosophy.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I mean this in all seriousness.

We do not hate conservative "viewpoints". We hate the way we who disagree are portrayed.

For example . . .

1. I support lowering taxes as much as possible so that Americans can keep their hard-earned money. HOWEVER . . . I also know that we are fighting a war and that WARS MUST BE PAID FOR and that we are running a massive deficit. The ONLY way to increase this revenue is to increase taxes on the top 1% of income earners. The other people in this country simply do not have the discretionary money to accomplish the need.

Conservative translation: "You want to soak the rich and penalize success!!!"

THAT'S what we hate.

2. We are trying to combat terrorism around the world. We are familiar with the preemptive-war method. But we believe that is wrong. That you cannot beat terrorism militarily. That it involves cooperation between nations, talking to our enemies, police work, special-ops work, intelligence work and PROTECTING OUR BORDERS.

Conservative translation: "You appeasers want to negotiate with terrorists!!!"

That's what we hate.

3. We want America to be the best it can be. That means correcting its faults. Just like a parent corrects his child and a coach corrects his players.

Conservative translation: "Why do you hate America?"

That's what we hate.

So when you begin to characterize our positions in a thoughful, mature manner . . . you likely will see a less hateful response.

7. RedSmithClone

Nice try, but you missed my battleship by a wide margin.
    As I have said previously, I DVR MSNBC shows, FOX shows, CNN shows. I don't just take in one viewpoint.

8. RedSmithClone

I can totally see where you are coming from on that, but of course since I lean right of center I must be deaf, dumb and blind.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Whoa, whoa, wait a minute!

Enough with the Hitler bashing, Red.

I understand you disagree with most if not all Nazi viewpoints, but to be a hatemonger because you disagree instead of being open to discussion is sad.

I feel for you. I really do.

10. RedSmithClone

I must give you credit, you are quick on the draw.

Maybe this should be another thread entirely? I think we should all get back on the main topic.

I'm with Mizzou in that I respect anyone who has served, and that while it isn't a main voting point, it does stick in the back of my mind when voting. It is only a positive, never a negative in my view.

11. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Perhaps not. But you certainly espouse a certain one on this site.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Interesting.

ONLY a positive? NEVER a negative?

So you were disgusted by what the Swift Boat Veterans did to Kerry, then?

Draft saved Draft deleted