1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Military announces stricter rules for tattoos

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain Obvious, Sep 24, 2013.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I've never heard of a separation for a tattoo. Unless I'm wrong, the only thing that's changing is no one will be allowed to enlist with tattoos above the neck and below the wrist.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I was answering the Navy question. Most cases get waivers, if it was done before accession, etc. But there have been separations initiated for the more obscene stuff.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Will not be joining the US Army after Breaking Bad ends.

[​IMG]

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Two of my best friends are lieutenant colonels in the air force and we had a discussion about this when I saw them in April. They said it's enough of an issue that there have been talks about what to do about this for the last several years.

For whatever reason, I'm fascinated by this as well...

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If only this was around for Corporal Klinger. He would not have had to go to
    all the trouble of trying to get a section 8.

6. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Who's the one poster who will flip out?

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I for one feel less safe knowing that folks like Lord Tensai will not be allowed
    to join the Army.

[​IMG]

8. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

When he first came back, I thought that was a tire track.

And my brother will be grandfathered in. He's got forearm tattoos. Nothing outrageous, just his kid's names and birth dates on each arm. He's also one of those "It's heritage not hate" people, but I managed to talk him out of the Rebel flag tattoo. It's not like I'm ashamed that I'm from Alabama, but there are some things that just don't fly, pun intended, anymore. Plus, his CO at the time was black.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My manager, who is one of the nicest and smartest people I've ever worked for, is covered with tattoos... He's in his early 40s and just went nuts when he was in college and looks like he walked out of a Green Day video. He has to wear long-sleeves all the time and he says his entire life people have treated him completely differently because of it.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

He won't have to be grandfathered unless the tattoos extend above the collar or below the cuff.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Birdman cannot be all he can be.

Meanwhile, I had this in my mind as I read this ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Son, there ain't no more draft."

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

He's not the only one. Fair or not, people form impressions based on what they see before you ever speak a word. Tattoos are part of that, as are hair styles, body piercings and much more. There are private businesses who won't hire people who don't "look the part", either. Not just the military.

Draft saved Draft deleted