1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Milestone Birthdays

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Jun 13, 2014.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Every year, I thank my mom for shitting me out on that particular day. I'll be sure to give her extra special thanks on the milestone birthdays.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

You're an asshole baby?

3. joe

joe Active Member

Sounds like an Oasis song.

Songbird likes this.
  4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

46, in Sydney: Dove with sharks. Two days later, jumped out of a plane. Going for the hat trick with the bridge climb tomorrow.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

21st: In snowstorm at Glacier National Park (b-day is June 30) drinking Jim Beam with fellow campers.
    30th: At surprise party thrown by girlfriend, now wife.
    40th: In Bermuda, playing golf
    50th: On Red Sox road trip
    60th: Went to Cape, watched Chatham A's Cape League game
    65th: More Cape, but no ballgame.

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

18 - Best friend threw a surprise party with a $200 Tower Record gift certificate and a stripper.

21 - Did 27 shots and did so much damage to my mom's downstairs bathroom that they had to recarpet the room and put in a new toilet.

30 - Then girlfriend, now wife, took me to an awesome hotel where they catered in Sushi and had a couples massage.

40 - Wife threw surprise party.

7. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

30th - Went to Italy (on my honeymoon. Got married the day before).

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Sounds like you got a double helping of some things fishy.

JackReacher likes this.
  9. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

20 -- Got the day off because my boss mistakenly thought it was my 21st. Ended up doing nothing.
    21 -- End of semester party. Cops knock on the door at 12:01 and as everyone younger than me scrambles for a hiding place, Spike Chiquet turns to me and says "It's doesn't matter for you."
    25-- Honestly no clue but whatever it was, doesn't hold a candle to 26 and when with several friends I watched the first round of the NFL draft at Ford Field, walked across the street to go to a Tigers game, which they won on a walk-off, then went over to the Elwood to watch the Wings win a playoff game and finished it off at a Mongolian BBQ in Royal Oak while watching the Pistons win a playoff game.
    30-- put in for a day off, half the newsroom got laid off the week before and I was asked to work since no one knew how to handle doing news with the skeleton staff yet.
    35 -- Worked. May have gotten to a bar with the copy editor afterward, don't remember.

So years that are multiples of five suck

10. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I've invited far-flung friends to a dinner out for my birthday for probably the last 10 years. I turned 40 in December, and had the largest group ever -- a fabulous experience getting people from different areas of my life together, including two who were in my first-grade class.

From back in the day when you had to invite everyone in the class, I recall a few parties in our building's rec room. One year we built stuff with marshmallows and popsicle sticks; a lifelong friend who grew up to be an architect made the Millennium Falcon. I also had two slumber parties in our apartment's living room -- with hibachi first -- and my dad got up and shone a flashlight in everyone's eyes because we were making too much noise.

My 21st was a disappointment. I was (and still am) a teetotaler, and a friend at a different college had promised to drive over (about 90 minutes), take me out, and give me drinks until I found something I could tolerate enough to get wasted. He stood me up instead.

The only adult birthday that really stands out is when I turned 23, because my then-boyfriend talked me into going skiing with his friends and threw me a surprise party. I was terrified on the slopes, but still amazed he pulled off the celebration.

Draft saved Draft deleted