1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mileage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Jul 19, 2008.

1. So earlier in the week, we are told with the news that our company is upping the mileage pay. Then yesterday we get told during a meeting that our mileage will be cut per our publisher, who says, "can't we cover games and do this stuff over the phone?"
    Just wondering if this is becoming the trend?

2. lono

lono Active Member

Yes, it's becoming a trend that in pursuit of the almighty dollar, publishers are coming up with ever dumber ideas about how a newspaper should be run.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

They aren't going to pay you mileage at all?

Well, I guess you never, ever leave the office.

How are they going to account for photos? Make people come down to the office? Or will you just have to walk there?

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Exactly. Impossible to run a newspaper without leaving. And if I were you, I'd be encouraging (read: strong-arming) any reporter or photog who leaves the office without being compensated for their mileage to cease from doing so.

5. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Or keep better mileage logs and get it back from the gov at tax time (it's better than nothing)...IRS has upped the rate to 58.5 cents per mile as of July 1

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I suppose that could be the publisher's out, no? "Hey, we don't HAVE to pay you mileage, but we do require you to use a car, so get it back from the gov't and not me."

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Fine, then send the bills for car maintainance and repairs to the publisher.

They require you to use your car, then the paper can pay for the use of your car. Why should anyone, including the government, donate gas and repairs to a newspaper?

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I agree. Don't let them screw you. Send the publisher and oil change bill and see what happens.

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I paper I know actually just increased its mileage to the IRS rate of 58.5 cents per mile.

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Family-owned?

11. I know what you're saying, but it should be pointed out that the IRS rate applies for everybody who uses their cars for work -- and don't get reimbursed from their employer -- not just newspaper people.

12. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Nope. Mormon church owned.

Draft saved Draft deleted