1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MiLB trip through the Carolinas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, May 6, 2009.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

In 1994, because of the MLB strike, I went to do a feature on the Cal League (Birdscribe remembers this) because most of the teams were only a 1- or 2-hour drive from where we were. It turned out to be a kick. First place I went, San Bernardino, the Phoenix Suns gorilla was there and he was awesome. I went to every city in the southern division. It's just fun to go to minor league games.

2. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

Asheville most definitely.

I was just there for the past three days and it's absolutely gorgeous weather this time of the year.
    Although the Tourists weren't in town while I was there, we drove by McCormick Field and it looked like a great little ball park.

Plus it's right by downtown, so you could walk there before/after whatever else you want to do there.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

BB&T (Myrtle Beach Pelicans) was just named best park in the Carolina League.
    Not exactly along the road you'll be traveling, but not exactly all that far. Only 3.5 hours from Greenville, and only about an hour from I-95.
    Park is very nice, beer garden especially.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

If you visit Greenville visit the Shoeless Joe museum. I believe it's across from or near the park.

5. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

wilmington NC hasn't had minor league baseball since 2001. that team bounced down to south georgia for a while. I have no idea where it is now. Bowling Green, perhaps?

Greensboro just built a new stadium and Winston-Salem has a team. But you really should add a trip to Asheville for the mountains, a cool downtown and McCormick Field/Park/Bandbox (and its ridiculously short porch in right field).

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

See the DBAP in Durham. Terrific minor-league facility. About 30 miles east in Zebulon is where the Carolina Mudcats play. Place used to be a colossal dump, but has turned into a pretty decent place.

Grainger Stadium in Kinston is a really underrated place to see a game, but according to your schedule, the K-Tribe will be on the road. Bummer ... nice little park in a small town which has rampantly supported its team for a long, long time.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Was just about to come on this thread to write that. :D

Haven't yet been, since I'm 2,000 miles away, but look forward to seeing it soon.

8. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

The Mudcats play in Zebulon, which is a 30-minute highway ride away from Raleigh.
    Park isn't that bad, but it is a lot of concrete. A lot. Apparently the owner is a huge N.C. State fan and thinks Carter-Finley Stadium is a beautiful thing, and wanted to replicate it.

9. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Dang, Three Bags, that sounds like an awesome vacation.

Are you taking the baby?

10. BRoth

BRoth Member

Anyone else ever been to the Front Street Brewery in Wilmington? Absolutely fantastic beer there.

Baseball America has their offices at RTP, but I'm not sure if that would be an exciting visit.

11. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

For a second there, I misread. I was hoping for a MILF trip through the Carolinas.
    Oh, well.
    As much as it pains me to say it, I would skip my hometown of Charlotte. The old park burned down in the '80s and was replaced by condos. The current park is blah, and in South Carolina.
    Asheville would be a better investment of time.
    Anybody know if the Hickory Crawdads still exist? That might be OK.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Asheville's not in the Carolina League. (Hmmm ... upon further review, Asheville was in the Carolina League, for one season only, going 64-74 and finishing in last place in the Western Division in 1967. That's odd.)

Winston-Salem has some decent prospects (including outfielder Jordan Danks, younger bro of White Sox pitcher John) but their stadium situation is a mess. Downtown stadium was supposed to open this year, but it's been delayed, so they're sharing Ernie Shore with Wake Forest.

There is absolutely nothing to do in Kinston other than watch baseball.

MU is spot on about Myrtle. Great park, great beer garden, and right now at least, they have two of the best prospects in the Braves organization in Freddie Freeman and Jason Heyward.

Draft saved Draft deleted