1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Reed Sets Goals for New Gannett

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Readallover, Jan 19, 2021.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Is Gannett News Service still a thing? Apologies, haven't paid much attention to our local site in the last 7-8 years or so.

My initial thought was that with the deadlines moved up so drastically at most Gannett shops, the lack of AP stuff won't be felt tremendously.

Liut likes this.
  2. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

So how much money is GCI saving annually by dropping the AP? Tens of millions??

3. jla74m

jla74m Member

There are going to be a lot thinner newspapers across the country. I guess that is a cost-cutting measure, too!

4. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Is Gannett still a thing in five years? They've cannibalized the the thing to a point where you couldn't even sell off local operations because there is so little left of local operations - no printing presses, no copy desk, no distribution centers - pretty much just a name.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

But Gannett is still going to pay for the stylebook!

Liut likes this.
  7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Check your local newsstand. They were thin already.

MNgremlin likes this.
  8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

McClatchy also cutting back on AP.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Haven't seen a copy in ages, but does USA Today still do agate?

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

No. It disbanded 15 years ago under Tara Connell, who turned its bones into “ContentOne.” I’m still not sure what that was supposed to be.

GNS’s downtown bureau kept operating for a while after that, but I’m not sure how long that lasted.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

So strange. If you think you can operate some kind of nationwide in-house wire service, how about your own stylebook?

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

My old paper is like that. They run regional copy from other Gannett papers and AP. But since they don't have a single local employee, there's nothing about the city board meetings or the two bank robberies in town. And they care so little about the paper that they often wedge the one page of classified ads on 4 or 5A.

Draft saved Draft deleted