1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Reed Sets Goals for New Gannett

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Readallover, Jan 19, 2021.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I just remember how freaking random those chosen for the training was. I was a breaking news reporter/night cops - the only one there after 5 p.m. - so of course I wasn't a MoJo.

sgreenwell likes this.
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, my paper had a huge announcement about how the newsroom, er Information Center, was totally going to be transformed. They were going to stop doing the typical departments, (news, sports, features, copy desk, graphics) and change them to seven new desks (digital, research, design, and some others that escape me).

We had a huge meeting where we were all divided into these seven desks and each desk was going to have a brainstorming session. We were told, of course, that each group was just random selected for that meeting, but of course, we all knew that they were planning on having those groups as their permanent new seven groups.

We had several useless brainstorming meetings where the main question on everyone’s mind was how the heck were we going to put out a paper when each new group was mixed and matched from different departments.

In the end, the brass formed two small groups who were reassigned; the rest of us were told to do more with less and layoffs commenced roughly a year later.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. DanOregon

Is Gannett still doing their weird "categories" for reporters, like "Things to Do" "Food and Drink" etc? Or was that "old Gannett." I imagine these days it's like "today you're wherever we need you."

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Such brilliance by the leadership.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I don't think there's much rhyme or reason across the chain, for better or worse. If you've got something working locally and it brings in views, you can keep it. (I'm thinking of a paper that has a full-time "culture" reporter, but no full-time sports staffers.)

6. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

I honestly believe Gannett has so many people in "leadership" roles who need to make changes if only to justify their existence.

garrow, Tarheel316, Batman and 6 others like this.
  7. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

We have a winner.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It’s been like that there for decades.

9. DanOregon

And doing such a bad job, they are running out of people to "lead."

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I worked in the marketing/communications office at my alma mater and a former Gannett exec was hired as our new VP. This person took our perfectly fine and well-respected operation and completely reorganized it -- justifying one's existence, indeed. Within two years the place was a complete mess and the staff exodus began. Of course, the VP eventually left too to "spend more time with family" and left the wreckage to the next person. I got out earlier this year and thinking about it still pisses me off.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
    Batman and Baron Scicluna like this.
  11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

My wife worked for a nonprofit where the same thing happened. A former Gannett EE came in and tried to transform their Comms department into a 24-hour news operation. He brought in any former Gannetteer he could find. He even tried to get White House press credentials.

And he’s still there. Membership has held steady since they have a pretty captive audience, but I know of no one, not a single person, who reads their magazine or the “news” section of the website.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Gannett’s new goal: Stay in business for another week so we have a shot at staying in business for another week.

sgreenwell and PaperDoll like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted