1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Piazza: Dodgers fans hate me because of Vin Scully

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 13, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgersnow/la-sp-dn-dodgers-mike-piazza-vin-scully-book-20130213,0,4321626.story

Piazza, who was eligible for free agency after the 1998 season, said he hoped to stay with the Dodgers but set a deadline of Feb. 15 to reach a new contract. In the book, Piazza wrote that Scully asked him about the deadline in a spring interview.

"He wasn't happy about it," Piazza wrote. "And Scully's voice carried a great deal of authority in Los Angeles."

That motherfucker Scully, asking about the deadline.

Piazza does allow that, OK, maybe turning down the richest Dodgers contract ever and ripping the team on opening day contributed to the fans' dislike of him. But, you know, that Scully guy.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If I were Piazza, I wouldn't get any closer to Dodger Stadium than Barstow or Bakersfield for, say, the rest of my life. There's plenty of folks associated with the Dodgers that one would want thrown under the bus since the O'Malley's sold out, but, Vin Scully?

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Just as he was throughout that entire saga, Piazzaa seems to be deliberately trying to be obtuse and incorrect.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Fragile ego, I see.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Barstow and Bakersfield are too close. Not getting closer than Moscow and St. Petersburg would be more apt.

Seriously? Vin freakin' Scully ripping away?

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Saint Vincent to the World Champion:

"As God is my judge, I don't get involved in these things," Scully said. "I can't imagine I would ever put my toe in the water as far as a player and his negotiations.

"I have no idea where he is coming from. I really have no idea. I can't imagine saying something about a player and his contract. I just don't do that, ever. I'm really flabbergasted by that reference."

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Piazza vs. Clemens: wish they could've both lost.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He said on The Daily Show this week that if he goes into the Hall, he will go in as a Met.

That surprised me, even though he played longer in New York. Maybe it's the Giants fan in me that always sees him as a Dodger.

9. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

He has long said he wants to go in as a Met. Of course, it's the Hall of Fame that decides what cap he wears, not him.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

He should go in as a Marlin.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That would be hilarious.

I was under the impression that the Hall has final say over what cap they wear, but that players do have some say. They want to prevent something stupid from happening, like Boggs wanting to go in as a Devil Ray.

Piazza could make a pretty good case for going in as a Dodger or a Met. I doubt very much the Hall wouldn't honor his wishes, as long as they're reasonable.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Piazza is an idiot.

One criticism of Scully is that he doesn't discuss off-field issues.

I've listened to him for 45 yards and have never heard him bash a player about his contract status.

Draft saved Draft deleted