1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Mussina, Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, Aug 6, 2007.

1. With Glavine getting No. 300 last night and cementing his plaque, there's a lot of talk about him being the last one to the magic number.

Which raises the question of future HOF standards for pitchers.

Mussina's at 246 and counting. And in some ways, he's had a better career than Glavine. Mussina has four seasons of 200-plus strikeouts. Glavine has none.

Some other statistical comparisions (and keep in mind that Mussina has pitched in the American League his whole career, Glavine in the National League):

GS
    Mussina 494
    Glavine 659

IP
    Mussina 3,316
    Glavine 4,293 2/3

WINNING PCT.
    Mussina .636
    Glavine .604

ERA
    Mussina 3.67
    Glavine 3.40

SO
    Mussina 2,639
    Glavine 2,544

WHIP
    Mussina 1.183
    Glavine 1.306

SHO
    Mussina 23
    Glavine 35

CG
    Mussina 57
    Glavine 56

Glavine's two Cy Young Awards help him out a great deal, of course. And Mussina's never won 20 games.

That being said, I'd vote for him.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You make a pretty strong case for him... My initial reaction would be that he's not a HOFer... He'll be close and playing in NYC will help. If he can get to 270-280 wins it will definitely help his case...

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Never winning 20, presuming he doesn't get to 300, would be a vote against for me. And if you have to make a "case" including WHIP, CG and the like, it's too much of an effort IMO. He narrowly misses without 300 wins.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think the two strikes that Waylon lays out at the end of his post are the ones that maybe count the most.

No Cy Young. No 20-win seasons.

To me, the lack of a Cy Young says at no point in his career was he considered the best pitcher in the majors. And I think you need to have that to get into the hall.

If he had a Cy Young, I'd say he'd get there. Since he doesn't, it's going to be very close.

Now, that doesn't mean I think having a Cy Young on your resume makes you automatic. But I think having one goes a long way to helping, and having more than one makes your case very strong.

5. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Agreed. Not without 300 wins. Certainly not if Morris and Blyleven aren't in.

Glavine would have been in the same boat without that magic milestone.

Edit: another look at Glavine's numbers tells me he didn't need to get to 300. 250-275 would have done it just fine. For some reason I thought he only had 3 seasons of 20 or more wins. He had 5.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

WHIP is a pretty strong indicator, actually, of how good a pitcher somebody is. (By the way, Jack Morris has a better WHIP than Glavine, too.) Wins is a decent stat, but it is also reliant on your teammates coming through. Ask Tommy John and Bert Blyleven, whose win totals were weighed down by some brutal teams. If Mussina gets in, then they both should definitely get in, too.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't know about that. Glavine's five 20-plus-win seasons, his two Cy Youngs and his 10 All-Star Game selections make a pretty good case for he, even if he retired with 280-295 wins. Not to mention he was seen by most around the game as one of the best pitchers all through the 90s.

8. Mizzougrad96

Nolan Ryan never won a Cy Young... I don't think Don Sutton or Ferguson Jenkins did either...

Wasn't Glavine the WS MVP the one year the Braves won it all... That won't hurt him at all...

I've always liked the theory that if you need to think about whether someone deserves to be in the HOF that they don't deserve it... I think that works about 90 percent of the time...

I've always considered Glavine to be a much better pitcher than Mussina...

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No 20 game win seasons would be deal breaker for me.

Now what about

Pedro?
    Schill?
    David Wells ?

10. Mizzougrad96

Morris is one that I really struggle with... He was the best pitcher in the A.L. for a full decade... I know his stats aren't great and his ERA is particularly bad, but he was on two WS winners... I don't think he ever won a Cy Young...

11. Mizzougrad96

Pedro - definitely...
    Schilling - Probably... I think the bloody sock gets him in...
    Wells - No way in hell...

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Couldn't agree more. Well, I probably could, but it's still early.

Draft saved Draft deleted