1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Mussina: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Dec 8, 2016.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Gut feel.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is how I feel. That game 7 relief appearance was the high moment of his career. It was pure desperation when he got brought into the game and he pitched amazingly.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

One problem with overusing stats as a basis for the hall of fame is that people try to retell the story of how a player was perceived by peers and fans while he played. It's not being stupid to take into account how famous or entertaining or impressive a player was when they played. It's the hall of fame, not the hall of WAR or ERA-plus. It's why i am lukewarm on Tim Raines. He played in his last all star game in like 1987 and then played 16 more years. As he played out the string with the Yankees, I can't ever remember anyone referring to him as a future hall of famer. That wasn't the perception, but for some guys the perception changes for the better, while for others -- like dick Allen and alan trammell -- it goes the other way.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You are also baseball stupid.

I am not going to have any walls left soon.

JC likes this.
  5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Or maybe you're stupid and soon to be living outdoors

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I was lucky enough to see a great many historic games in my career as a writer. Larry Bird's first game. The snowplow game in Foxboro. All three Lakers-Celtics finals. Bill Buckner. Pats win Super Bowl XXXVI, Sox win 2004 Series. But for all around drama, tension and astonishment, I don't think anything beats that game.

bigpern23 likes this.
  7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

NO. And Cito Sucks!

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

One problem with not using stats is you have meatheads who go by their gut. (Not you)

A player can't help if he's stuck in an outpost. Ragu's Mussina takes are ridiculous, he stumps for Morris but a clearly better pitcher, by any metric, is not quite good enough for him.

How many people actually watched Raines in Montreal, like truly watched him. I'd say very few.

Baseball brings out the stupid in people.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Because you don't think baseball exists outside your Northeast world.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Not so. Jack Morris 1991 Game 7 is up there and I should have mentioned it. Nothing personally beats seeing Phillies win Series in 1980. But as a saga, I'll stand on my previous opinion.

11. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Not in the top 100.

12. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Fascinating thread. Not going to fault ragu for his stance on mussina. That is his belief. However, the reality is the Hall is not made up of guys only like maddux, Martinez and Johnson. Using the traditional Hall standards of putting in Robin Roberts, Jim Bunning, Don Sutton, Bert Blyleven, Phil Niekro and others, Mussina is there. In additon, he is clearly better than numerous others, but many of them were bad choices.. Marquard, Haines, Drysdale...

Draft saved Draft deleted