1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Mussina: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

*Maddux

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

And he spent his entire career in the AL East, with the DH and the best hitting teams of his time 19 times a season. I remember one year that he must have been 0-3 or 0-4 in games head to head with Pedro where he gave up around a run a game.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If he was a sports writer, he probably didn't like Mussina's stuffy Stanford frat boy act with everyone he encountered, either,

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Definite grounds to keep him out the hall.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Looking at Mussina's B-R page. Dude was a top 6 Cy finisher 9 (!) times -- the first in 1992, the last in his final season (2008). He'll definitely get in eventually and should, just a matter of when.

6. Dick Whitman

Shottie thinks that everyone who doesn't come off like a mentally challenged spider monkey is acting too big for their britches.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Did he delete one of his posts?

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Does he also hold the record for no hitters lost in the 9th inning with 1 or 2 outs?

CD Boogie likes this.
  9. Dick Whitman

No. I'm just not surprised that his indictment of Mussina includes the fact that he's a smarty pants who went to Stanford.

YankeeFan and JC like this.
  10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Mussina's HOF vote percentages so far:
    20.3 percent
    24.6 percent
    43 percent

He is a ways from 75 percent. He has some support, and he took a step up in support last year, but it demonstrates that he is a bubble case at best. As I would suggest. I wouldn't vote for him. His best bet will be to jump into that 50+ percent range next year, 60 percent range the following year. ... and then he has 4 years left to get in. If he is close, maybe he will get the last few votes before he drops off the ballot a la Bert Blyleven.

My biggest argument against Mussina is that he was never among the very top pitchers of his era. He also was never a guy I really wanted on the mound in the biggest games -- as a fan of the team he played for a long time for. His biggest moment came in relief in game 7 of the ALCS in 2003 in the Aaron Boone game. ... he came in with the Yanks losing and he held Boston, and the Yankees came back and won. I am not taking the performance away from him -- it was a clutch performance. But that is it for him. He seemed to shrink from big games. In that 2003 series, one of the reasons their backs were against the wall in the first place was because Mussina had gotten outpitched in his two starts in the series. Which was sort of his story as Yankee at least. I never thought it was coincidental that the Yankees run of World Series titles ended when he came along and David Cone was gone, and then Andy Pettitte went to Houston.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I thought it was when A-rod arrived and ruined the "culture" of that team.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

From my vantage point as a fan. ... Their success was always predicated on pitching. In 1998, for example, they had one of the greatest teams ever. It was a year of incredible offense in baseball w/the PEDs. Bonds and McGwire had their home run race. The Yankees' top home run hitter had 28. They were a good offensive team, but it was the pitching (and the depth of pitching) that carried them. Not just starting pitching, but their middle relief. A lot of that depth disappeared by the time Mussina came along, and that isn't his fault. So the point isn't a cut and dried statement about Mussina being a "loser." The team was different by the time he came along. But at the same time. .. David Cone was a big game pitcher. El Duque was ridiculously a big game pitcher. Pettitte was a well above average post season pitcher. David Wells didn't shrink in big games. . ... Mussina didn't have that kind of personality. The Yankees needed him to be the pitcher who stepped it up those years between 2001 and 2007, and he never was that guy. He was actually pretty bad in quite a few of his post season starts.

Draft saved Draft deleted