1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Leach to The "U" ?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 16, 2010.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I can't see Shalala putting up with Mike Leach and the other way around.

2. I was wondering how long it would take until his name came up.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Ahem.....

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Anyone know much about Shannon or deal with him? He seemed really odd and distance in that Gary Smith story a few years ago.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Guz Malzan (sp?)

6. derwood

derwood Active Member

Dan Mullen.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The U needs someone that would excite the fan base. I doubt that Richt would do that given that his star is dimming at Georgia.
    Mullen is interesting idea but his possible involvement in Newton scandal looms.

Leach would excite the fan base and is readily available to jump right in and start recruiting. His system is perfect for the speed players that he could attract to Miami.

Miami needs him - The ACC needs him.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'll gladly stand by that post. He was fired because he won only 7 games in a season where everyone expected a lot more. If the point is that when the season started I was wrong to think that Miami would be a top-tier team this year, you got me. I know I was not alone on that. And even with that, I am still surprised that Mike Leach would be on a list for them. After the way things ended with Larry Coker, it would be a stupid hire in my opinion. Leach always brings controversy with him. Miami had seemed to choose to try to run their program without that when they chose Shannon. I have no idea why Miami would want that. Nor do I know why they would bring Leach's variation of the spread -- which thrives with teams that have weaknesses to cover -- to a team that can easily recruit one of the fastest, most talented classes year after year. In my opinion, it is a ridiculously bad fit if they are seriously considering him.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"Leach always brings controversy"

Where else was he that had controversy?

Based on his radio program he is certainly well liked and respected by many of the elite college coaches who call in.

If you can recruit players ideally suited the the spread why wouldn't you bring in one of the guru's? Miami had only 27,000 in stadium yesterday. They need to bring in someone that will excite fan base.

10. mb

mb Active Member

Maybe I'm just a Mike Leach fanboy, but the guy won at Texas Tech.

Texas Tech.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I'm a huge Leach fanboy as well. Met him at the local JUCO out here when he was recruiting. A very very personable and likable guy.

If you can win at Texas Tech, you can win anywhere.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They need someone who will win. That is the only thing that matters at a place trying to be a football factory. Whomever they bring in. ... if he wins, it will bring people into the stadium. Just getting a guy who has a big personality is meaningless. They win, everyone is happy. They lose, they can't recruit against Florida and Florida State.

Are you really asking where else he has had controversy? The guy is a walking controversy. He has had one head coaching job. Where else COULD he have had controversy? You weren't convinced when he spouted off about the officials favoring Texas over Texas Tech because one of the officials lived in Austin? Or was it that they were incompetent? Or that the conference wanted Texas in a BCS bowl game? He suggested ALL of those things, if I remember correctly. Last season, he did the "fat little girlfriends" AND got fired over his treatment of Adam James. Then he ended up in a pissing match with the university and now a lawsuit with Craig James.

How much more controversial does he have to be than that? He may be a nice guy, but he is a liability because of his penchant to shoot off his mouth first and think about the consequences later. He's a good offensive coach, a nonconformist. But he's not nearly a good enough coach to make that stuff go away easily. If Miami even sniffs the guy, the people making the hire are insane. My opinion.

Draft saved Draft deleted