1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Leach Sues ESPN for Defamation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Nov 24, 2010.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Leach claiming ESPN did nothing to correct Craig James' allegedly false remarks about Leach's alleged treatment of his son, and therefore defamed him by allowing James to say whatever he said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5847181&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I don't know enough about US laws to handicap this. However, I am very curious because it could certainly affect what broadcasters say about their subjects.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Leach is a public figure right? So he needs to prove that ESPN knew the reports were false or had a reasonable doubt to their truth when they were airing them, correct?

Unless he gets a smoking gun type of memo or email, that is going to be tough to do.

Doesn't Leach have a better wrongful termination suit against Tech?

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Oops, misread the title. Thought he was suing for definition of character.

5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Here's a link to an NYT story that has more (well anything) on the ESPN suit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/25/sports/ncaafootball/25espn.html?src=twrhp

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

He doesn't need a memo or email, he just has to show that Craig James was allowed to make statements that weren't true, that James had a personal interest in putting forth false information, that espn was negligent in allowing James to make false statements on the air, thus defaming him, and he suffered direct and provable damages as a result.

James was hardly just a reporter doing his job here, he was an angry father campaigning for his son. I think we discussed this here at the time, whether it was a good idea for espn to allow Craig James to report on the case.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I don't know who I root for here.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It was a boneheaded decision to allow Craig James to report on the case. Maybe it's not defamation, but ESPN should have to pay just for stupidity.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

even if you say Leach is a jackass, he is still one jackass. at the WWL he's a dime a dozen.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm rooting for Leach here. I think he has a pretty strong case.

The guy is an attorney. He's suing Tech as well isn't he?

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Well Don King filed a defamation suit against 'em, too.

Didn't work out too well, it was thrown out at summary judgement.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Win or lose Leach still will be making a point.

Draft saved Draft deleted