1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Keenan resigns

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SF_Express, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Don't let Mike Keenan anywhere near the Hurricanes.

It's not broken ... and no one needs Keenan to destroy it.

2. KP

KP Active Member

I'll set the line of him turning up somewhere before the All-Star Break at -140.
    Before training camp starts up is +115.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

How many times has a "Mike Keenan resigns" thread been started on SportsJournalists.com?

4. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

About half as many times as it has on SJ.ca

5. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Oh God, No...Please...Not Columbus. They were not in the basement last year and that was without a guy like Keenan at the controls.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Keenan will not sign in Philly, not as long as Clarke is there, and I don't think he and Snyder would get a long too well. As well, didn't Pittsburgh hire someone this summer already to replace Patrick? Ray Shero will be given a few years and get them past Keenan's availability. Columbus is a potential landing spot, especially if they get off to a slow start I could see something being done with McLean. I could maybe see him landing back in Chicago, depends on how much security Dave Tallon has, I think a lot of that could rest on if Khabibulin bounces back at all. I could also maybe him ending up in Tampa Bay next post-season if he doesn't sign somewhere during the season, again it all depends on how Feaster manages his budget with his big three forwards signed to big deals. The other possibility is – and I can see JR, et al, freaking out on this one – is Toronto. JFJ's shelf life has got to be shrinking in the Centre of the Universe, especially if they are in danger of missing the playoffs again come the midway point of the season.

But on the otherside, as crazy and erratic as Keenan can be, I think he is a highly undervauled GM. He just has to be let alone to do his work and often people get too nervous and have to get their hands dirty. He has made many shrewd decisions in his career that I think for the most part has left the franchises he's been at in a lot better condition than they were in before he got there. Some of his higly criticized but successful moves were trading Shannahan to Hartford for Pronger when he was in St. Louis, trading Linden to Long Island for Bertuzzi when he was in Vancouver, and I believe he was also at the helm of the trade that sent Bure to Florida for Jovonovski. He has put some solid teams together and hsa been forced out before it all could come together while another GM will come in as the team is reaching its fruitition and make a few changes and take credit for the team.

Draft saved Draft deleted