1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Downey leaving Trib

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I heard something interesting out of Chicago today that I'm trying to confirm - if anyone has an idea of what I might mean, please PM me.

EDIT: Got several PMs with the information. See next post

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Re: Hello Chicago? Pipeline is calling

Sent via Pipeline:

From Sports Editor Dan McGrath:

After 5-plus years of distinguished service to the Tribune, and many more to the LA Times, the Detroit Free Press, the Sun-Times and the late, great, Daily News, Mike Downey is leaving us.

I say this with profound sadness. Mike is not only one of the most accomplished sports columnists in the country, he is one of the best people, as any of us who have worked with him can attest.His columns were an integral part of some of our biggest stories of the last five years---the Cubs in ’03, the White Sox in ’05, the Bears in ’06---but he was even more valuable four times a week as a wise, wry, sane voice of reason. At a time when self-promoting, look-at-me bloviation is increasingly seen as the way to go in his business, Mike let his clever words, his clear thoughts and his crafty insights speak for themselves, unerringly. He was a class act from the day he showed up here. It was a privilege to work with him.

Mike has written his last column, but he and Gail will be around for a few weeks before they head back to their home and family in

California

. I’m sure he’d appreciate hearing from his colleagues. Please join me in wishing him well, and thanking him. He served with distinction.
    Dan McG

3. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

4. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Downey wrote one of the best rip jobs I ever read back in the late 70s-early 80s, I think. It was on Mark Spitz. Not that he didn't have a lot of material to work with.

5. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

They have to fill the position. A paper the size of the Trib can't get away with just having Morrissey.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

One would think...

7. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Or do they leave it empty until Mariotti's contract expires?

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm sure no one could have imagined the day The Boston Globe had only two columnists.

Yet here it is.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If they do, and then hire Mariotti for big bank and trumpet the hire in ads all over town, good on them. At least it's an investment in the product and a sign of initiative.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Still wonder why, if the Sun-Times was soooo relieved to shed Mariotti (after paying him big bucks for 17 years) and even wooed back readers by touting his departure from the paper, that its editors would bother to enforce a non-compete clause.

If he is such a cancer and lazy ass (not going into clubhouses for quotes), wouldn't the Sun-Times be happy for him to infest the Tribune ASAP?

11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

The Tribune should just say no to Mariotti. That will be so disappointing if they stoop to hiring Mr. Cliche Column.
    Sun Times should let him go there. He's not going to sell any papers, he might get a few extra internet clicks from Chicago sports fans wanting to skim his cliche-ridden rants against starting quarterbacks, managers named Ozzie, coaches named Lovie, owners of all local teams who get on losing streaks, while also writing about curses, Bartman, Harrelson.
    I'd say 80-20 they hire him as soon as they are allowed by law.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

They'll hire him, but will wish they didn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted